Glass Etching

Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 PM

Has anyone done any glass etching? I really want to try this out but I am waiting until next week when I can buy the etching cream for 40% off since it's 30 bucks for the bottle at Micheal's :? Anyways just curious if anyone has tried this? I have read several tutorials and it seems really really easy. I want to etch names into 9x13 glass pans for mother's day gifts. As well as for 2 SIL who have birthday's in May. Any tips or suggestions! thanks :)
Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 PM

I did some years ago and was pretty easy and fun. I would love to get my hand on some more etching cream and do some more.
I traced a design onto a tinted contact then put that onto a cheap mirror and carefully cut out the design then put the etching cream on it. I ended up with a fabulous mirror with a leopard etched into it. (I would love to know what happened to that mirror lol)
Be careful as to which craft knife you use, some will scratch the glass if you press too hard. A glazing company or window tinter should be able to advise you as to which ones are ok.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:21 AM

I have alway thought of trying it, but haven't.

When I was a little girl my mom had a set of glasses that had etching on them. I loved the way they looked, but couldn't stand the feel. It felt like scatching on a chalkboard. I used to have to do the dishes all the time.

Eventually I had broke them all, accidently?

They are beautiful though, and I hear they are very easy to do. I also like the looks on windows or mirrors. :)

Post your results, I would love to seem them. :thumbup:
Old 04-24-2010, 03:39 AM

If you have access to a Cricut (scrapbooking tool) and some of their vinyl you can do some great work with glass etching... dang that reminds me... I meant to do some for my husband's birthday (two days away!) I guess it will have to be for Father's Day now!

PM me if you'd like to hear how you use the cricut for glass etching!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:42 AM

I would check first to see if etching would be affected by being exposed to oven temperatures. I've only used it on things that were not exposed to extremes.

Oven tempered glass is not the same as regular glassware glass. E-mail the manufacturer and check - it would be a shame to have it break in the oven when full of food.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 AM

A few year ago, just for fun, I was etching everywhere I could. I etched a small butterfly in the corners of each one of the windows of my car. A few years later a window was cracked and I took it to be fixed. They charged me for a new glass, but only filled the crack. The guy said I was a liar. He swore he replaced it and when I asked him if he had etched a butterfly on the new glass he didn't know what to do with himself. Needless to say, he lost a customer. I tell the story to everyone and some of my friends had me etch little things on their cars too. I didn't do it to bust anyone, just to personalize my car.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM

I etched our initials on some inexpensive champagne glasses that I got at a garage sale. Made them look very nice, and was super simple to do. Have fun with it.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Hmmm sounds like so much fun! I am excited. And yes I check and the etching cream is oven safe. So hopefully my pans won't break :) I never thought about etching the glass in my car. I have never heard of that! Don't think I'll try that as I think my hubby and my dad would both kill me lol. My dad own's a paint and glass shop and I can just hear him now. :)
Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I have etched glass and it is a lot of fun. I can't wait to see your creations :D:D:D
Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Google Goddess

haven't done it yet, I want to sometime