Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/old-fashion-home-remedies-diaper-rash-t219242.html)

stablemom 04-15-2013 06:01 PM

Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Hello folks!
My grandson has developed awful diaper rash lately. We had him to the doctor, got some medical cream which worked, but now it's back and it's a few days till the doctor can see him again about this.
Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated!
Thanks!

barny 04-15-2013 06:05 PM

My grandaughter used Cortizone 10 on her little 3 yr. old. Use your own judgement on this.

Jan in VA 04-15-2013 06:07 PM

What has he eaten lately? Strawberries used to do this with my DD. Have you tried A and D ointment? I'm going to ask my DD who is a pediatrician and who also uses some alternative medicine.

Jan in VA

From the Doctor!!---------
If the rash is caused by diarrhea, sit in bath of warm water and some baking soda to neutralize the acidic environment of the skin.
Pat dry, fan for several minutes until truly, thoroughly dry.
Use warm water - NO baby wipes (ALL of them, even unscented, have citric acid in them. Ow!)
Use zinc oxide, or A&D ointment, or Triple Paste after EVERY diaper change. Butt Paste tends to be very thick and pulls on the skin if there is irritation - wait until there is improvement to use this.

quiltingcandy 04-15-2013 06:12 PM

Okay I learned from my niece who is an emergency room RN that most diaper rashes are a yeast infection - you can use the cream a woman would use for a yeast infection - or you can use a cream for athlete's foot or Jock Itch. Check it out on the internet if you think I am crazy. Her 18 month son had one while I was visiting and due to his age she got a dr to prescribe one. You could possibly talk to a pharmacist for a recommendation too.

It also helps to let him run around without clothes for a bit too.

EllieGirl 04-15-2013 06:13 PM

Bag Balm! It can be found at Walgreens, CVS, etc. it originally was developed for cows' udders. I have used it on my GS many times!

kjdavis4 04-15-2013 06:24 PM

Boudreaux's Butt Paste, yes that's a real product. It works!!

Tartan 04-15-2013 06:25 PM

I always used desetyn on my baby's bottoms. It sticks like glue and protects the skin. The moisture will bead right up on it.

Sdwill 04-15-2013 06:49 PM

My pediatrician had me use Lotrimin AF for the my boys bad diaper rashes since they were usually caused by yeast. Works really well.

debquilts2 04-15-2013 06:52 PM

penetin cream dont think that is the spelling but good stuff
Deb

mary quilting 04-15-2013 07:45 PM

this is what our Dr. said to use

Originally Posted by kjdavis4 (Post 6004278)
Boudreaux's Butt Paste, yes that's a real product. It works!!