Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Banned
    Blog Entries

Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Hello folks!
    My grandson has developed awful diaper rash lately. We had him to the doctor, got some medical cream which worked, but now it's back and it's a few days till the doctor can see him again about this.
    Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    My grandaughter used Cortizone 10 on her little 3 yr. old. Use your own judgement on this.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What has he eaten lately? Strawberries used to do this with my DD. Have you tried A and D ointment? I'm going to ask my DD who is a pediatrician and who also uses some alternative medicine.

Jan in VA

From the Doctor!!---------
    If the rash is caused by diarrhea, sit in bath of warm water and some baking soda to neutralize the acidic environment of the skin.
    Pat dry, fan for several minutes until truly, thoroughly dry.
    Use warm water - NO baby wipes (ALL of them, even unscented, have citric acid in them. Ow!)
    Use zinc oxide, or A&D ointment, or Triple Paste after EVERY diaper change. Butt Paste tends to be very thick and pulls on the skin if there is irritation - wait until there is improvement to use this.
    Last edited by Jan in VA; 04-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Okay I learned from my niece who is an emergency room RN that most diaper rashes are a yeast infection - you can use the cream a woman would use for a yeast infection - or you can use a cream for athlete's foot or Jock Itch. Check it out on the internet if you think I am crazy. Her 18 month son had one while I was visiting and due to his age she got a dr to prescribe one. You could possibly talk to a pharmacist for a recommendation too.

It also helps to let him run around without clothes for a bit too.

Bag Balm! It can be found at Walgreens, CVS, etc. it originally was developed for cows' udders. I have used it on my GS many times!

Boudreaux's Butt Paste, yes that's a real product. It works!!

Power Poster
    I always used desetyn on my baby's bottoms. It sticks like glue and protects the skin. The moisture will bead right up on it.

My pediatrician had me use Lotrimin AF for the my boys bad diaper rashes since they were usually caused by yeast. Works really well.
    Sharyl

penetin cream dont think that is the spelling but good stuff
    Deb

this is what our Dr. said to use
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdavis4 View Post
    Boudreaux's Butt Paste, yes that's a real product. It works!!

My DD had horrible diaper rash; sometimes I thought the skin would start to bleed it was so bad. We found out later she had and still has quite a few food allergies - eggs, orange(citrus including strawberries), pork, and milk to name a few. Why don't you see if you all can keep track of what GS eats and any reaction to those foods? All the suggestions here sound good to me. Most any one would help. Good luck.

Change diaper when it is soiled. They only had cloth diapers when my three were little. Grandkid's Mothers used disposible and they had less rashes. I used desetyne, really slathered it on, not sure of the spelling, thick white cream, blocks out the wet and stool so skin could heal.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It's been a long time for me, but when younger son was a toddler and had terrible diaper rash accompanied by diarrhea, I asked the childless pediatrician what to do. He said "let him spend the day without a diaper". With diarrhea! He finally gave me something for it, and it went away. Fast forward to several years later when we ran into him and he had a child, and he actually remembered and said that was terrible advice considering the diarrhea!!!!! Daughter in law used destin. But, all the suggestions sound good. Whatever works.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    old grandma here. I read a long time ago an article by a dermatologist who said to use white Crisco for diaper rash.

h said he learned that in med school.

i never tried it, but it made sense. I did use Mary Kay moisture cream on my kids and grandkids. It is a pink clearish ointment.

mary Kay moisture cream(pink clearish ointment)
    don't know why it worked, but it would clear up the huge blisters my son would get (within minutes of soiling his diaper) Also, from a dermatologist years ago, white Crisco. never tried it, but he said it worked.

If the baby doesn't crawl or walk...try laying a diaper down under the baby and putting him/her on tummy for a while...my Kids Dr. would swear that keeping the diaper area in the air after gently washing...no baby wipes....would do the trick.

I use one of those microfiber cloths for my granddaughter. Warm water with a drop of baby wash...when she has a rash.
    Then Butt Paste.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    One of the key things is to keep that little bottom dry...lots a diaper changes.( hard to get the day care folks to do more often,I know). Then some air time for the skin. I couldn't use commercial diapers on my kids as they were sensitive to the products,so had old fashioned cloth diapers.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    brown some flour in a cast iron skillet and use it for powder, it works!>>

Blog Entries
    My grandson, at age 6 months, (he's 9 months now) had a bad diaper rash. It seemed to happen over night. The yeast cream didn't clear it up, it helped some. Desitin Maximum Level worked fast. A dab gets put on his little behind at every diaper change now. No more rash after that first time.
    Got fabric?

cjr
    Use old fashioned cloth diapers.

disposable diapers on my kids caused diaper rash.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

Boudreaux's Butt Paste!! My niece had a reaction to an antibiotic and she had diaper rash so bad, she had blisters. It came on so suddenly!! My sister was very careful to always change her diaper as soon as it was wet, but there it was! Dr. recommended it and it cleared up the rash immediately.

Vat
    Back when I boys were babies (some 40 years ago) about all we had was CLOTH diapers and Vaseline. Works great ! ! But you do have to change the baby often, to keep the amonia away from the babies skin.

Becareful with any cortisone ointment and the strength for infants, children, etc is different from that of adults. Ensuring that the area is dried well, helps (if you can leave the diaper off, it's great, even for a short time). Any ointment (Desitin, A & D) that provides a moisture barrier will work, some rashes are yeast/fungal based so an over-the-counter treatment (recommended by pharamacist) is helpful. Mary Kay's extra emoillent night cream is a great product to try...amazing how it works. When in doubt or no improvement get to MD....dietary allergies become a big cause as well as detergent on clothe diapers, and brand of disposable diapers can make a difference. Best of luck.

When my grandbaby developed a very, very bad rash while undergoing chemo, the Dr. prescribed a compound ointment. It is 120 gm C-Cholestyramine 10% Ointment.

It is some awesome stuff.

Balmex- You can find it at Walmart or Amazon. It has that zinc oxide and beeswax. It comes in a tube and you smear it on. My son had thrush which is a yeast infection in his mouth (white bumps)which caused the diaper rash at the other end.

The key is to find out what's causing the diaper rash. Balmex helps by acting as a barrier cream. Changing often and air drying is important.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste---works great and has a light sandalwood scent
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast