Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Old Wives Tales. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/old-wives-tales-t242971.html)

Country1 03-11-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by lillybeck (Post 6621058)
Here are a few more. If you get your belly all wet while washing dishes you will marry a drunk,
Whatever you do on the first day of the year is what you will end up doing the rest of the year.
How about this one, If your left hand itches you are going to get money and if the right itches you will shake hands with a stranger

I could go on and on with these things but I think my favorite is the one where you are making ugly faces at someone and your mom says to yo"your face is going to freeze like that one of these times"

How about the one " If your nose itches, you're gonna have company"
With my allergies, you'd think our house would be running over with people.LOL

Country1 03-11-2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747 (Post 6621064)
If your baby has the colic, make a tea from an onion and give to them.
If the wooly worm is black, it will be a bad winter.
If it is warm and the snow doesn't melt, it is waiting for another snow.
If your ears are itching, company is coming.
The lower a hornets nest hangs in the tree, the colder the winter will be.
When moving to a different house, leave your broom in the old house for good luck.
Never hand an open pocket knife to someone or you will have bad luck.
Do not open an umbrella inside a house.
Do not drink milk while eating fish, it can be deadly.
These are just some I have heard over the years. :p

Some I have heard, some I have not. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Country1 03-11-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 (Post 6621081)
Never give cutlery for a wedding gift -- It will cut the relationship

Putting shoes on the table will bring bad luck

Spill salt -- throw a pinch over your shoulder to ward off evil spirits

Shiver for no reason -- Ghost walked over your grave

If your ear itches, it means someone is talking about you.

Want your kids to find you, go to the bathroom

I have heard 1,3,&4. I heard "If your ears are burning, someone is talking about you."
It is true about the bathroom, go in and if the kids don't come I can say for sure the dogs all have to come and hang out.

Country1 03-11-2014 09:43 AM

Love reading all these! Thanks to EVERYONE for sharing. I am having a ball reading these! I hope everyone else is enjoying this too. It is bringing back some wonderful childhood memories! I think even if our kiddos or Gks don't appreciate them, I still think they should be passed on!
Thanks for the memories!
Keep 'um coming.

ptquilts 03-11-2014 09:49 AM

If your nose itches, you will have a fight or kiss a fool.

If you sweep UNDER someones feet (like they lift their feet while sitting down, so you can sweep under them) they will never get married again.

If you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave.

crafty pat 03-11-2014 10:14 AM

If it rains while the sun is shining it will rain at the same time the next day. If you touch a frog you will get warts on your hands. If you eat a whole cup of nuts at one time you will die before the next morning. Any stitch you do on Sunday you will have to remove on Monday.If you get a fright while you are pregnant and touch your face the baby will have a birthmark on that spot on it's face. I could go on all day my DM was just full of them.

nativetexan 03-11-2014 10:20 AM

Well, "never sit on a boy's lap". won't begin to explain that one.

libby2595 03-11-2014 10:26 AM

i remembered a few more:

* if you knit your man a pair of socks, he'll walk away from you (leave you)
* if you gift your man a pair of shoes... same as above

Country1 03-11-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 6621129)
If it rains while the sun is shining it will rain at the same time the next day. If you touch a frog you will get warts on your hands. If you eat a whole cup of nuts at one time you will die before the next morning. Any stitch you do on Sunday you will have to remove on Monday.If you get a fright while you are pregnant and touch your face the baby will have a birthmark on that spot on it's face. I could go on all day my DM was just full of them.

I've heard if snow lingers around, it is waiting for more snow.

Country1 03-11-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Country1 (Post 6621094)
I have heard 1,3,&4. I heard "If your ears are burning, someone is talking about you."
It is true about the bathroom, go in and if the kids don't come I can say for sure the dogs all have to come and hang out.

I heard if you give knives as a wedding present, you are suppose to tape a new penny on the gift or it is bad luck.
Well. my great aunt did this when I got married the 1st time. Turns out the penny was worth more than him.LOL