Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Old Wives Tales. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/old-wives-tales-t242971.html)

Country1 03-11-2014 07:18 AM

Old Wives Tales.

I have been writing in a journal for my DGD and I thought it would be neat to write some old wife's tales. My grand mother and great grand mother had one for just about everything.
I thought it might be something different to share on here and I might find out some new ones to add to her journal. So start sharing, I think it could be fun. I am also curious if they were the same around the country or if they were different in different parts of the country or even in other countries.
May the tales begin! Thanks to all who join in!

joyce blint 03-11-2014 07:36 AM

You're making some nice memories and interesting reading for your DGD. Just noticed your address and realized we came thru there on our way from Paducah, KY Sunday.

JenniePenny 03-11-2014 07:37 AM

The most old wives' tales I heard involved pregnancy.
Here is just one of thousands: If the mother-to-be still looked beautiful, fresh-faced with clear skin and shiny hair through the eighth month, it meant she was having a boy, because a baby girl would steal her mother's beauty and youth!

kathy 03-11-2014 07:41 AM

never reach above your head when you're pregnant, it will cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck!

libby2595 03-11-2014 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 6620869)
The most old wives' tales I heard involved pregnancy.
Here is just one of thousands: If the mother-to-be still looked beautiful, fresh-faced with clear skin and shiny hair through the eighth month, it meant she was having a boy, because a baby girl would steal her mother's beauty and youth!

i've heard this one, too.
if it's of any "use"... it "worked" for me. i LOVED being pregnant and i looked AMAZING up until the very end. i had a bouncing baby boy; the true love of my life... ps. he's not a baby anymore! that was almost 20 years ago

Chasing Hawk 03-11-2014 07:49 AM

My Gram said that eating bologna while pregnant caused birth defects.
And my Aunt said drinking soda while pregnant caused low birth weight.

The latter one I had to chuckle when she said that. My last two children were big babies. My daughter weighed 10 lbs, and my son weighed 9 lbs 14 oz. :)

libby2595 03-11-2014 07:53 AM

mine might be a little "different" being that i'm first generation american.
i'll chime is as i remember them.

* if you sweep over the feet of a young-single girl/lady, she will be a spinster.
* if you hit yourself on the elbow (the funny bone), don't rub it. it'll bring good luck.
* if it's raining and the sun is out, a "witch" is getting married.
* if your new baby (up to toddlerhood) gets very needy with mommy, that's because there's another bun in the oven.
* if your boob itches, an "old man" is "desiring" you.

tessagin 03-11-2014 08:08 AM

My former deceased mil screamed at me in my own house after I had just hung a load of laundry out to dry. ANd I mean she screamed. Told her to leave.

Originally Posted by kathy (Post 6620876)
never reach above your head when you're pregnant, it will cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck!

NikkiLu 03-11-2014 08:58 AM

"A stitch in time saves nine". How true that is! That tear in my bedskirt would not be a foot long if I would have fixed it when I first noticed it. Now it is glued with Elmer School Glue until I change my bedding and can get it off and sewn on my sewing machine.

NJ Quilter 03-11-2014 09:05 AM

If your palm itches you're going to get money.
If your nose itches you're going to kiss a fool.
If it rains while the sun is shining, the devil is beating his wife.

Don't know where any of these came from but were standards in my family!