Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Oliso Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/oliso-iron-t254616.html)

Pete 10-01-2014 05:18 AM

Oliso Iron

I just received one as a gift. Do any of you have one? Do you always use steam or do you iron dry? I normally iron dry --- but directions say fill with water. I e-mailed the company and they said "it is recommended that you alwsys fill with water, however you may iron dry." Do you always fill with water?

Michellesews 10-01-2014 05:23 AM

It's strickly up to you. I have the yellow one but rarely use it because it is much heavier than my steam generated Rowenta.

mrs. fitz 10-01-2014 07:32 AM

I always add water to mine. I've had good luck with it and it IS a time-saver and convenience to have that self-standing feature.

coffeegirl 10-02-2014 05:07 AM

I have water in mine, but I don't always use steam. It's easy to turn off the steam if you don't want it.

lass 10-02-2014 05:18 AM

I would listen to what the company says and turn the switch to dry.

aeble 10-02-2014 06:14 AM

Chances are there is a gasket that will dry out if you don't have water in it for a long period. If you don't use water in it ever, you might be okay to not put water in it. But, I personally would put the water in, just so I didn't damage it.

bkb7957 10-02-2014 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by lass (Post 6912211)
I would listen to what the company says and turn the switch to dry.

I have a Shark iron. Love it. But I always keep water in it while in use. But when I'm not using it I make sure to pour the water out before putting it away. I have noticed that the manufactures of my irons say to empty the water out of the iron after use.

QuiltE 10-02-2014 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 6910995)
I just received one as a gift. Do any of you have one? Do you always use steam or do you iron dry? I normally iron dry --- but directions say fill with water. I e-mailed the company and they said "it is recommended that you alwsys fill with water, however you may iron dry." Do you always fill with water?

I have had the Oliso (yellow) for almost a year. I never thought I would say it, but I have truly "enjoyed and appreciated" this iron! It seemed pricey at the time, but it has been more than worth it.

In reading your email, I think it could be interpreted ... fill with water when you want steam .... but that you can iron dry (and not fill with water).

I always iron dry and have never used the steam. A couple of reasons ... I can control the dampness with a spritzer and/or Best Press; and I don't have to let it "dry" after steaming before moving and/or sewing. The other reason, when I finish sewing, I can turn it off and walk away without the added step of walking the distance to the sink with a hot iron to drain the water (and potentially burning or scalding myself!).

Chasing Hawk 10-02-2014 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I never put water in my irons. I don't like the spitting and weird sounds they make.
I use a spray bottle with bottled water (distilled kind) in it.

My Steam presser on the other hand I keep water in the reservoir, again I only use bottled water.

Oksewnsew 10-02-2014 09:41 PM

I have 2 Oliso irons and love, love, love them. I keep water in mine while sewing, when thru I do pour out wtr, open the 'hole' and let it dry out overnite. If I don't want steam, I just turn the steam button to off. I have a 1500 wt one and I gifted myself when the new PINK ones were announced and pre-ordered it.. It's 1800 wt. I love it.. I've used all kinds, still have several. I still have a Rowenta that I like very well too. I know the Oliso are expensive but well worth it to me..