Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Oliso Iron

Blog Entries

Oliso Iron

I just received one as a gift. Do any of you have one? Do you always use steam or do you iron dry? I normally iron dry --- but directions say fill with water. I e-mailed the company and they said "it is recommended that you alwsys fill with water, however you may iron dry." Do you always fill with water?
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

It's strickly up to you. I have the yellow one but rarely use it because it is much heavier than my steam generated Rowenta.
    Michelle Guadarrama

I always add water to mine. I've had good luck with it and it IS a time-saver and convenience to have that self-standing feature.

I have water in mine, but I don't always use steam. It's easy to turn off the steam if you don't want it.

I would listen to what the company says and turn the switch to dry.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

Chances are there is a gasket that will dry out if you don't have water in it for a long period. If you don't use water in it ever, you might be okay to not put water in it. But, I personally would put the water in, just so I didn't damage it.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lass View Post
    I would listen to what the company says and turn the switch to dry.
    I have a Shark iron. Love it. But I always keep water in it while in use. But when I'm not using it I make sure to pour the water out before putting it away. I have noticed that the manufactures of my irons say to empty the water out of the iron after use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just received one as a gift. Do any of you have one? Do you always use steam or do you iron dry? I normally iron dry --- but directions say fill with water. I e-mailed the company and they said "it is recommended that you alwsys fill with water, however you may iron dry." Do you always fill with water?
    I have had the Oliso (yellow) for almost a year. I never thought I would say it, but I have truly "enjoyed and appreciated" this iron! It seemed pricey at the time, but it has been more than worth it.

In reading your email, I think it could be interpreted ... fill with water when you want steam .... but that you can iron dry (and not fill with water).

I always iron dry and have never used the steam. A couple of reasons ... I can control the dampness with a spritzer and/or Best Press; and I don't have to let it "dry" after steaming before moving and/or sewing. The other reason, when I finish sewing, I can turn it off and walk away without the added step of walking the distance to the sink with a hot iron to drain the water (and potentially burning or scalding myself!).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I never put water in my irons. I don't like the spitting and weird sounds they make.
    I use a spray bottle with bottled water (distilled kind) in it.

My Steam presser on the other hand I keep water in the reservoir, again I only use bottled water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have 2 Oliso irons and love, love, love them. I keep water in mine while sewing, when thru I do pour out wtr, open the 'hole' and let it dry out overnite. If I don't want steam, I just turn the steam button to off. I have a 1500 wt one and I gifted myself when the new PINK ones were announced and pre-ordered it.. It's 1800 wt. I love it.. I've used all kinds, still have several. I still have a Rowenta that I like very well too. I know the Oliso are expensive but well worth it to me..

Blog Entries

Olison Iron

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    It's strickly up to you. I have the yellow one but rarely use it because it is much heavier than my steam generated Rowenta.
    I have the yellow Olison Iron and use it with water, but I prefer the Rowenta steam generator as it's not near as heavy. I have 4 iron and a press and use all of them with water except the press. I have never had a leak or any problems.

Funny I should see this post today. My black and decker died yesterday after many years of use. I'm going to Costco today to get me a rowenta pro. My DIL has one and loves it. Good enough of a testimonial for me.