Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Olympics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/olympics-t197370.html)

nygal 08-12-2012 02:37 PM

I didn't watch any of the Olympics either. Just not my thing. I do watch about the election tho. When I've had "enough" I change the channel.

ging10ging 08-12-2012 02:41 PM

Well now that the games are over it will just be those polital ads over & over. I think I'll get a lot of other things done. I'm getting so I can't stand there voices. I saw some of the games but not a lot. I think we're all going to need many blessings in the days to come. I remember when they first came out with cable it was going to be so great and not a lot of commercials what ever happened there are so many commercials if there is 10 min of show that's it. Oh well let the games begin. Sue

Dolphyngyrl 08-12-2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5435227)
TV has been so bad that I cant find anything to record. What am I paying all this money for.
No Olympics for me, watched for years but bored with them now. Its always the same thing over and over again with ice skating and gymnastics.

That's why we just do Netflix cable is such a waste for the hour of tv I watch daily

Mary O 08-12-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps (Post 5435246)
The self discipline and practice practice it takes is inspiring. To set any goal and achieve it is awesome. The Olympics are certainly more enjoyable than all the dirty politics. It is so good to see all the healthy, strong, self disciplined and confident people competing. I too prefer all the Olympics in one year - not two years apart for winter and summer. The stories of how some of the athletes reached the Olympics are just amazing stories. They have worked very hard.

DITTO Better than the stupid reality shows and soaps.

CindyA 08-12-2012 05:36 PM

No, I'm not glad they're over. I haven't watched all of it but have enjoyed what I was able to see. I agree with some others, I'd rather watch Olympics than some of the junky t.v. shows that are on, and I'm definitely NOT looking forward to all the presidential election stuff that's going to be on US tv until November.

NancyBelly 08-12-2012 09:35 PM

Completely enjoyed every moment of the Olympics! We have Dish TV so we had multiple channels and got to watch all kinds of coverage. Handball isn't at all what I thought it was! What a great game. Can't wait til the winter games!

daisylil 08-13-2012 03:21 AM

I cannot agree with waiting for the end of the olympics , (each to own feelings) we were lucky here that we had 24 channels each covering one sport , and 24 HD channels doing the same from the BBC , and luckily :) no advertisement breaks , I could see why people would get sorta dissinterested when coverage is spoilt by them tho :)I never watch anything with breaks in it , I record using my TV or save also , and the voila !! no adverts :)

Iraxy 08-13-2012 03:38 AM

I loved the Olympics but wish there had been more coverage. Too many ads, too much break away time, and too much commentary. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the athlete won the medal or didn't qualify, etc. Do they really need Al Michaels and his ilk to tell you that? The gymnastics, boxing, volleyball, swimmers, divers, all were awesome. The enthusiasm of the British people was wonderful to see. Thanks Great Britain for a wonderful Olympiad. GO USA! We are still #1!!!!

Edie 08-13-2012 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps (Post 5435246)
The self discipline and practice practice it takes is inspiring. To set any goal and achieve it is awesome. The Olympics are certainly more enjoyable than all the dirty politics. It is so good to see all the healthy, strong, self disciplined and confident people competing. I too prefer all the Olympics in one year - not two years apart for winter and summer. The stories of how some of the athletes reached the Olympics are just amazing stories. They have worked very hard.

I so agree with you. Once every four years is just fine. I give credit to everyone who participated. Kudos to Horace Pistorius - he was great! I can't begin to imagine how many people he uplifted when he ran. It was awesome. I cannot imagine the pride his parents must have had seeing him run in the Olympics after having to make the decision they had to make. Unfortunately Bolt did absolutely nothing for me! Conceit, ego, not conducive to countries getting together in peace. Granted he didn't do very well the last couple of years, but that does not make him any better than the rest of them. I like to pick and choose my heroes of the Olympics. Our swimmers, our runners, our highboard diver (didn't even know what place he was in until he was told he had won the gold). I loved the little stories that came with each of them.
Edie

mhansen6 08-13-2012 04:45 AM

I am a little sad that the Olympics are over. Not that I watched any of it, but now all the political ads and mud slinging will start in ernest. I would much rather have results from the Olympics on the news than the hate being thrown back and forth between the two running for president.