Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Olympics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/olympics-t197370.html)

DOTTYMO 08-11-2012 11:24 PM

Olympics

Is anyone else glad to see the nd of these games like me. Back to normal chat and we may even have some news.

w7sue 08-11-2012 11:26 PM

I didn't watch any of it so not really affected. That's kind of the way I feel about political ads - not looking forward to all the mud slinging that will be going on between now and November ...

NJ Quilter 08-12-2012 01:22 AM

Can't say I disagree. Used to love watching the Olympics decades ago when the actually showed the competitions. Now, why do I need TV to tell me what's on FB and Twitter? If I wanted to know, I'd have one of those accounts and could see for myself!

burchquilts 08-12-2012 04:16 AM

While I "like" the games just fine, I'm ready for my daytime TV to get back to normal. And speaking of the Olympics... I also liked it better when the winter games & the summer games were all the same year. I don't care for this every 2 years business. But who asked me, right? LOL!

Rose Marie 08-12-2012 05:54 AM

TV has been so bad that I cant find anything to record. What am I paying all this money for.
No Olympics for me, watched for years but bored with them now. Its always the same thing over and over again with ice skating and gymnastics.

Scraps 08-12-2012 06:04 AM

The self discipline and practice practice it takes is inspiring. To set any goal and achieve it is awesome. The Olympics are certainly more enjoyable than all the dirty politics. It is so good to see all the healthy, strong, self disciplined and confident people competing. I too prefer all the Olympics in one year - not two years apart for winter and summer. The stories of how some of the athletes reached the Olympics are just amazing stories. They have worked very hard.

Tartan 08-12-2012 06:12 AM

Not me! I have been glad to have something inspiring and decent to watch. There isn't a whole lot in the TV lineup that I watch. I am glad for the PBS, CreateTv and the News.

alwayslearning 08-12-2012 07:10 AM

Over 25 years ago, I was between jobs and in a new home to me. ABC was covering the Olympics and during the daytime, they showed 15 minutes of Olympic coverage, 15 minutes of the daytime schedule (soaps). Well darned if I didn't get hooked on those darned soaps for a while! Even though I don't watch them any more, I felt sad when ABC cancelled 2 out of 3 this past year. I do not feel that the Olympics are an even playing field since some countries financially support their athletes so that we now have professionals (basketball, tennis) representing the U. S. It is not an level playing field. By the way, that home had a wonderful sewing studio --- which I converted into an office. Young and foolish!

romanojg 08-12-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5435261)
Not me! I have been glad to have something inspiring and decent to watch. There isn't a whole lot in the TV lineup that I watch. I am glad for the PBS, CreateTv and the News.

I agree; especially during rerun season. I don't get into sports but I love to watch the Olympics and this yr; the US kicked some royal and not so royal behinds. We should all be proud of the way the US is out in front of everyone this yr. It was not only nice to see old faces mostly doing well but also to see the new comers doing really well. It shows we have some real hopeful competiters that will be taking over for the retiring champions. I am glad though that with Grimm coming back on now on Mon instead of Friday I won't have to miss the Olympics or vice versa to watch one over the other. Cable just isn't as good as it used to be.

JoanneS 08-12-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 5435618)
I agree; especially during rerun season. I don't get into sports but I love to watch the Olympics and this yr; the US kicked some royal and not so royal behinds. We should all be proud of the way the US is out in front of everyone this yr. It was not only nice to see old faces mostly doing well but also to see the new comers doing really well. It shows we have some real hopeful competiters that will be taking over for the retiring champions. I am glad though that with Grimm coming back on now on Mon instead of Friday I won't have to miss the Olympics or vice versa to watch one over the other. Cable just isn't as good as it used to be.

I agree, too! What could be more inspiring for the youth of the world than to see young people who have worked so hard to achieve their goals? Forget the pros in the team sports, though they are fun to watch, because the Olympic rules are different than their pro rules.

In our house, virtually everything stops during the hours the Olympics are on. i have my laptop with me, so I can check out the QB during commercials! I am ready, however, to get back to my sewing room!