Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paper-piecing-t261548.html)

wbfrog 02-20-2015 02:13 PM

Paper Piecing

Hello, everyone

I started my first paper piecing project and it is not so easy (at least for me) I have taken out more stitches then ever and then I had to redo an entire section. I am glad I read the directions to make extra copies of the paper piece pattern if not I would have been in trouble. Just wanted to share my experience so far.

-Vontina

nygal 02-20-2015 02:15 PM

The first time I tried paper piecing I hated it!! Then a few years later I watched a video on You Tube and thought I'd give it another try. I now LOVE paper piecing. It is a lot of extra work and very messy especially when getting those tiny pieces of paper out but I think it's all worth it. You can see by my Avatar how much I enjoy it. Hang in there because you may get to love it.

ManiacQuilter2 02-20-2015 02:18 PM

It depends on how complicated PP pattern you took on. It is a completely different technique to learn by yourself. I enjoy it because I know my piecing no matter how complicated will be very accurate.

PenniF 02-20-2015 03:20 PM

I know i am repeating myself from other posts over time...but truthfully....even when you've been away from PPing for a while it can be tough to get back into the rhythm.....you have to get your mind into the grove of thinking "up-side-down and backwards". Once that clicks, it's SO easy.

Doggramma 02-20-2015 05:40 PM

I am not a fan. It's too fussy for me. My regular quilt club did paper pieced feather star blocks all last year, and I didn't make any of the blocks! Now, in my modern quilt club OF ALL PLACES(!!, we are doing paper pieced "modern" blocks for next month. There's a new quilter in the club and I volunteered to show her how to PP since she didn't even know what it is. So maybe I'll decide I like it after this, but I doubt it!

zennia 02-21-2015 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 7098586)
I know i am repeating myself from other posts over time...but truthfully....even when you've been away from PPing for a while it can be tough to get back into the rhythm.....you have to get your mind into the grove of thinking "up-side-down and backwards". Once that clicks, it's SO easy.

I agree and until you get this "upside down and backwards" its a stuggle.
another thing I do is mark the 1/4 " seam between lines 1 & 2.

meanmom 02-21-2015 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love paper piecing. The first full sized quilt I made was paper pieced. The owner of the quilt shop gave me a 5 minute demo of the technique. I had never heard of it before. The first block took about 8 hours to complete. By the time I finished all 64 blocks I could finish one in just over an hour. Each 12" block had 64 pieces. By the time I finished I was hooked. I love to PP it makes all those tiny pieces so accurate. I won best of show at the county fair last year for my PP quilt.

Geri B 02-21-2015 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 7098586)

That's the clue...upside down and backwards... I have to keep reminding myself of that each time I tackle a pp project/UFO....and still occasionally have to rip out a section or so.......

wendiq 02-21-2015 07:51 AM

I love to PP but it did take a while to find the best method....there are a lot. I finally settled on Carol Doak. She has, for me, the easiest and her patterns also tell you just what size to cut the pieces you use. In time, you can figure this out yourself. If you haven't tried her way, give it a try......

wendiq 02-21-2015 07:53 AM

Meanmon.....that is a gorgeous quilt and easy to see why you won BOS. What method did you use?