Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Paper Piecing

Paper Piecing

Hello, everyone

I started my first paper piecing project and it is not so easy (at least for me) I have taken out more stitches then ever and then I had to redo an entire section. I am glad I read the directions to make extra copies of the paper piece pattern if not I would have been in trouble. Just wanted to share my experience so far.

-Vontina

The first time I tried paper piecing I hated it!! Then a few years later I watched a video on You Tube and thought I'd give it another try. I now LOVE paper piecing. It is a lot of extra work and very messy especially when getting those tiny pieces of paper out but I think it's all worth it. You can see by my Avatar how much I enjoy it. Hang in there because you may get to love it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

It depends on how complicated PP pattern you took on. It is a completely different technique to learn by yourself. I enjoy it because I know my piecing no matter how complicated will be very accurate.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I know i am repeating myself from other posts over time...but truthfully....even when you've been away from PPing for a while it can be tough to get back into the rhythm.....you have to get your mind into the grove of thinking "up-side-down and backwards". Once that clicks, it's SO easy.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

I am not a fan. It's too fussy for me. My regular quilt club did paper pieced feather star blocks all last year, and I didn't make any of the blocks! Now, in my modern quilt club OF ALL PLACES(!!, we are doing paper pieced "modern" blocks for next month. There's a new quilter in the club and I volunteered to show her how to PP since she didn't even know what it is. So maybe I'll decide I like it after this, but I doubt it!
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
    I know i am repeating myself from other posts over time...but truthfully....even when you've been away from PPing for a while it can be tough to get back into the rhythm.....you have to get your mind into the grove of thinking "up-side-down and backwards". Once that clicks, it's SO easy.
    I agree and until you get this "upside down and backwards" its a stuggle.
    another thing I do is mark the 1/4 " seam between lines 1 & 2.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I love paper piecing. The first full sized quilt I made was paper pieced. The owner of the quilt shop gave me a 5 minute demo of the technique. I had never heard of it before. The first block took about 8 hours to complete. By the time I finished all 64 blocks I could finish one in just over an hour. Each 12" block had 64 pieces. By the time I finished I was hooked. I love to PP it makes all those tiny pieces so accurate. I won best of show at the county fair last year for my PP quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post

That's the clue...upside down and backwards... I have to keep reminding myself of that each time I tackle a pp project/UFO....and still occasionally have to rip out a section or so.......

I love to PP but it did take a while to find the best method....there are a lot. I finally settled on Carol Doak. She has, for me, the easiest and her patterns also tell you just what size to cut the pieces you use. In time, you can figure this out yourself. If you haven't tried her way, give it a try......

Meanmon.....that is a gorgeous quilt and easy to see why you won BOS. What method did you use?

Blog Entries
    the problem I have is the middle it is so bulky

It is gorgeous!! I too love to PP....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I still remember my 1st PP experience. I decided to make copies of all the papers before I started in case I wanted to do it again. Used my pattern ease stuff to make the copies so they'd last forever. Of course I didn't bother to check to see they copied correctly and foundo out while stitching but I've corrected that and my wall hanging turned out okay. I'm in love with PP now and can't wait to try another one. Yes, its time consuming but so worth-while once its finished....at least for me it was.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I love to paper piece. You can make almost anything & make it next to perfect. I taught myself from books & never really had a problem to speak of so pretty lucky there

I love paper piecing too. My avatar has 102 pieces in it.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

I found that I do enjoy paper piecing, but I don't know if I would have the patience to do an entire quilt. I enjoyed making the mugrugs for the last two swaps here on the QB. It is very time consuming on some patterns.

The only paper piecing I have done is using Marjorie Rhine's 'Painless Paper-Piecing. You sew the seams without stitching through the paper, so no tearing off. Also, you get to reuse the pattern over and over because you didn't tear it up. Because you cut the patches to patterns, you can control the grain, and save on fabric. I was a little apprehensive at first, but once I got the hang of it, it goes really fast.

I got this method out of her book that I picked up used at the local Quilt Guild for $1.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I don't do PP often enough to do any block quickly. I really want to work at it because I love how the points look, everything is so sharp. I actually bought Carol Doaks books - 2 of them, that came with a CD, but that was quite a few years ago and now the discs won't work in my computer - it's for windows 2000 and lower. I have Vista.

https://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php A few years ago I used Carol Doak's free pattern page to learn the basic, even bought one of her books and I now love PP.

I am at present making a Spiders Web scrappy quilt from Bonnie Hunter's page and love it. It's an amazing way to use up scraps and really does look stunning but it's so addictive that I am not doing anything else
    Attached Images Attached Images