Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PayPal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-t262318.html)

Geri B 03-08-2015 06:42 AM

PayPal

Is it easy to get a paypal account if one wants to post items for sale and be paid for them that way? What are advantages of such an arrangement.

SewExtremeSeams 03-08-2015 06:46 AM

So far, I have not sold anything through Paypal but I use it all the time and love it. The reason I like it is because it acts as a third party to your transaction in case anything goes awry. And, your personal account info is only kept by them not someone who is purchasing from you or visa versa.

Jeanne S 03-08-2015 07:04 AM

It is very easy! I use it all the time for buying and selling. Just go to PayPal and set up your account. You can link it to your bank checking account and/or a credit card. It uses your email address as your paypal account name. It has been a long time, but I think there was a few day process where it made a deposit of a few pennies into my bank account and then I had to verify the amount deposited until it was active, so give it a few days 'set up' before you need it. Once it is active, it is very easy to transfer money to or from your bank account into/out of paypal. Once you tell it to transfer money to your bank account it usually takes 3 days to 'settle' and you see the deposit in your bank account. There is a transaction fee for getting payments from others into your paypal account; there is a flat minimum and then a percentage of the amount received. Seems like the minimum is $.46 or thereabouts. I don't think they charge to make a payment out of your paypal account because they charge the recipient of the funds. Just choose a 'heavy duty' password for your paypal account, you don't want anyone hacking into it and taking your funds! I sell items on ebay, and it links up great with that, and it probably works the same for Etsy, etc.

nativetexan 03-08-2015 08:29 AM

I want to do that someday but would hesitate to link my Bank account. maybe set one up especially for that.
and if you have a customer who says they didn't get the item or returned it and happen to be lying, Paypal still sides with the customer. Always. Good luck.

Quilty-Louise 03-08-2015 08:34 AM

I use PayPal as much as I possible can. I really hesitate now if PayPal
is not an option.

In fact I have to really NEED something before I will purchase without
PayPal.

I have my debit card linked to my PayPal account.

Pollytink 03-08-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7119811)
I want to do that someday but would hesitate to link my Bank account. maybe set one up especially for that.

That's what I did. My bank lets you have more than one free account if you use direct deposit on the main one. After having one account hacked, I transfer money to the PP one when I need/want it and use that one.

tessagin 03-08-2015 10:31 AM

DH uses PP a lot. So if I want anything, I have him order it. That way only one account.

Quilty-Louise 03-08-2015 12:42 PM

My hubs & I have a total of 4 accounts between.

1 (main joint acct) is used for regular purchases.
1 (auto pay) is used for all our bills that have auto payments, and for
our fuel for cars.
1 is his PERSONAL acct. used for his online purchases, and has HIS paypal
acct linked too.
1 is my PERSONAL acct, and has my paypal linked.

Neither one of our personal accounts hold any significant amounts of money.
Usually just enough to keep them open UNLESS we are purchasing something
when we transfer over funds to cover what is being purchased.

I imaging many of you might be "scratching" your heads about now trying
to figure out why we would do something like this, but it is what we prefer
to do.

Originally Posted by Pollytink (Post 7119930)
That's what I did. My bank lets you have more than one free account if you use direct deposit on the main one. After having one account hacked, I transfer money to the PP one when I need/want it and use that one.

ManiacQuilter2 03-08-2015 12:48 PM

I use to sell on eBay so it is not difficult to open an account. I have two account, one for personal and one for the biz end of selling my excess stash. To me, it is the only way to go especially when you do not know the person buying from you. Just be ready because they will charge you 30 cents for an invoice and take 2.9% from what you charge for shipping and the total cost of goods sold. I ship everything using PayPal.com/shipnow.

w1613s 03-09-2015 04:46 AM

When it first became available I used PayPal a lot and loved it. A year or so down the pike they "lost" my account. No account info. No account listed amywhere in their records. And the answer? "We're sorry. Open another one."

Needless to say, PayPal and I do not do business. I hope I am the only one who ever had that problem with them. A scarey, aggrivating, disappointing experience.

Pat