Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: PayPal

PayPal

Is it easy to get a paypal account if one wants to post items for sale and be paid for them that way? What are advantages of such an arrangement.

Blog Entries
    So far, I have not sold anything through Paypal but I use it all the time and love it. The reason I like it is because it acts as a third party to your transaction in case anything goes awry. And, your personal account info is only kept by them not someone who is purchasing from you or visa versa.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

It is very easy! I use it all the time for buying and selling. Just go to PayPal and set up your account. You can link it to your bank checking account and/or a credit card. It uses your email address as your paypal account name. It has been a long time, but I think there was a few day process where it made a deposit of a few pennies into my bank account and then I had to verify the amount deposited until it was active, so give it a few days 'set up' before you need it. Once it is active, it is very easy to transfer money to or from your bank account into/out of paypal. Once you tell it to transfer money to your bank account it usually takes 3 days to 'settle' and you see the deposit in your bank account. There is a transaction fee for getting payments from others into your paypal account; there is a flat minimum and then a percentage of the amount received. Seems like the minimum is $.46 or thereabouts. I don't think they charge to make a payment out of your paypal account because they charge the recipient of the funds. Just choose a 'heavy duty' password for your paypal account, you don't want anyone hacking into it and taking your funds! I sell items on ebay, and it links up great with that, and it probably works the same for Etsy, etc.

Blog Entries
    I want to do that someday but would hesitate to link my Bank account. maybe set one up especially for that.
    and if you have a customer who says they didn't get the item or returned it and happen to be lying, Paypal still sides with the customer. Always. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I use PayPal as much as I possible can. I really hesitate now if PayPal
    is not an option.

In fact I have to really NEED something before I will purchase without
    PayPal.

I have my debit card linked to my PayPal account.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I want to do that someday but would hesitate to link my Bank account. maybe set one up especially for that.
    That's what I did. My bank lets you have more than one free account if you use direct deposit on the main one. After having one account hacked, I transfer money to the PP one when I need/want it and use that one.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    DH uses PP a lot. So if I want anything, I have him order it. That way only one account.

Blog Entries
    My hubs & I have a total of 4 accounts between.

1 (main joint acct) is used for regular purchases.
    1 (auto pay) is used for all our bills that have auto payments, and for
    our fuel for cars.
    1 is his PERSONAL acct. used for his online purchases, and has HIS paypal
    acct linked too.
    1 is my PERSONAL acct, and has my paypal linked.

Neither one of our personal accounts hold any significant amounts of money.
    Usually just enough to keep them open UNLESS we are purchasing something
    when we transfer over funds to cover what is being purchased.

I imaging many of you might be "scratching" your heads about now trying
    to figure out why we would do something like this, but it is what we prefer
    to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    That's what I did. My bank lets you have more than one free account if you use direct deposit on the main one. After having one account hacked, I transfer money to the PP one when I need/want it and use that one.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I use to sell on eBay so it is not difficult to open an account. I have two account, one for personal and one for the biz end of selling my excess stash. To me, it is the only way to go especially when you do not know the person buying from you. Just be ready because they will charge you 30 cents for an invoice and take 2.9% from what you charge for shipping and the total cost of goods sold. I ship everything using PayPal.com/shipnow.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

When it first became available I used PayPal a lot and loved it. A year or so down the pike they "lost" my account. No account info. No account listed amywhere in their records. And the answer? "We're sorry. Open another one."

Needless to say, PayPal and I do not do business. I hope I am the only one who ever had that problem with them. A scarey, aggrivating, disappointing experience.

Pat

Blog Entries
    I have used it for several years and love it. Its very convenient and safe. Most vendors now take paypal and I hesitate to buy from anyone who does not take it. When you buy something all you do is click on the paypal icon and enter your password, much easier than entering your credit card info and address etc. the vendor uses your address on file with paypal. Even Walmart is now taking paypal.

Blog Entries
    I've had a Paypal business account for ages. If you get a debit card to use with your account, you earn cash back that offsets the fees. While some people don't like Paypal, it is far more cost effective than using something else as a credit card gateway. If you are going to do a fair and know you'll have a lot of credit card transactions, they will send you a device that you put on your smart phone to swipe credit cards. You'll have to pay their credit card processing fee, but if your volume is large enough, it's worth it.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

PayPal is the best. I can understand your trepidation at linking your bank account, but they are very reputable. I've used them for years and as Quilty Louise said I always am disappointed when PayPal isn't an option. Sorry to read w1613s' experience, but believe it to be a singular experience.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I have used PayPal for years. I like it for the privacy of my cc information. I do change my password every few months because we travel in summer and Use secured WiFi but "just in case". My bank suggested changing passwords and even getting new credit card numbers to thwart hackers of cc information. I highly recommend PayPal.

My husband and I have both used Paypal to buy and sell fairly extensively. It's easy to set up and easy to use. It makes a lot of online purchases very easy.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I use Pal Pal, and receive payments for pups on pay pal. People like it as they use a credit card to pay sometimes and wither paying or receiving the other people involved to not have access to my bank account.

Blog Entries
    Your not alone. I used to use paypal but recently there was a problem and they disabled my main bank account and tell me now to use a different bank. Paypal is great as long as there are no problems. Once there is a disagreement somewhere, your account gets locked up or disabled. A lot of work to get problem solved.

I don't have my bank account tied to PayPal. My account is years old so I guess it was grandfathered in. I did get a notice I had to summit my bank account info to continue but I never did. Still have the same account. I sell rare and out of print book on ebay a few times a year and that keeps enough quilting money in my PayPal account. If you keep a credit you never have to use your bank account or credit card to buy items.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    and if you have a customer who says they didn't get the item or returned it and happen to be lying, Paypal still sides with the customer. Always. Good luck.
    If they say they didn't get it, but you have tracking info that shows it was delivered, you are covered.

Same goes if they return it, THEY have to prove you got it.

Blog Entries
    I am satisfied with pay pal .I buy not sell lol
    Sweet Home Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    If they say they didn't get it, but you have tracking info that shows it was delivered, you are covered.

Same goes if they return it, THEY have to prove you got it.

I understand your hesitation. I have been using paypal since the early 90's with no problems at all..and I use it ***way too much**** !
    But...if you really don't want to use your bank account, go buy a reloadable credit card...use that...you can reload it when you want to make a purchase.
    One thing I do, though...there is a box you can check if you are on a home computer(verses office or shared)...I never check that box because if you do they will remember you next time you come back..to me that is not as afe as signing in every time.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    So far, I have not sold anything through Paypal but I use it all the time and love it. The reason I like it is because it acts as a third party to your transaction in case anything goes awry. And, your personal account info is only kept by them not someone who is purchasing from you or visa versa.
    Ditto here.

I use nothing but PayPal for all my online buying..never had a problem.

Power Poster
    My son-in-law uses paypal all the time to sell items on ebay. he says it is simple to do....

Had my account hacked. They did nothing about my account being $300. withdrawn from it without my knowledge.
    Now they keep telling me to update my account even after I have closed it out. Just my opinion--they suck big time.I use cash or check --money order. No more pay pal on ebay any more.