Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PayPal wants my SS# (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-wants-my-ss-t157483.html)

jeanneb52 10-03-2011 02:57 AM

no no no call them directly to question this. There are forms for this and they would have sent one.

janekonowitz 10-03-2011 03:16 AM

Our paypal account number was stolen and someone ordered several thousands of dollars of stereo equipment online. It is not safe! Will never use it again. NEVER give out your SSN.

KathyAire 10-03-2011 03:47 AM

It is true, PayPal wants your SS#. You are not sending your # to them in an email. You have to go to your account and update your information, just like your entered your bank account #. My husband got the same request. This is what was in the FAQs on the PayPal website.

"What happens if I don’t provide my tax ID number?"

In 2011, if you do not provide your tax ID number (Social Security Number (SSN), Employer Identification Number (EIN), or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)) after we’ve requested it, we may place the following limitations on your account:
You’ll be unable to receive funds into your account.
You won’t be able to close your account.

The limitations will be removed after your provide your tax ID number.

MargeD 10-03-2011 04:00 AM

Your Social Security # is needed when filing a 1099, however, they should just send you the form to fill out. It's the old adage, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, but you can always call Social Security information to be absolutely sure.

janekonowitz 10-03-2011 04:57 AM

Don't trust paypal. Never put your SSN in an email.

lauriequilts 10-03-2011 05:29 AM

Tax I.D. number and social security number are two different things. Never give your SS number, as it could lead to identity theft.

vickig626 10-03-2011 05:37 AM

I've used PayPal for years and NEVER been asked for my SS#.

If it came in an email but doesn't have your name in the email, it's a scam.

Even if I get an email from any of my creditors, I NEVER click the link directly just to be on the safe side.

OmaForFour 10-03-2011 05:52 AM

DO NOT DO IT! Instead, send an email to PayPal completely separate from this and tell them. You may find that they send you back an email saying it is a scam.

jgriinke 10-03-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
This is true...I worked for Soc Sec...do not give out your no. A tax ID is not your Soc Security no...That is issued to you when you call IRS and ask them to issue you a Tax ID no. for reporting Self Employment income...i.e. selling on ebay up to 200 or 20,000...NEVER give out your SOC SEC No...

I agree. A tax ID is not your SS #. They are assuming that you are a small business with that many transactions. I have delt with Paypal for years and have not had that come up for me. I guess I haven't used it as much. But, again, a tax ID is NOT your SS#.
You have to file either in your state or with the IRS to get one.

Bonbonary 10-03-2011 06:06 AM

If it came in an email, it is absolutely a scam. Don't do it. Only go to paypay or ebay by typing in their address NEVER by clicking on a link in any email which looks like it is from them.