Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PayPal wants my SS# (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-wants-my-ss-t157483.html)

kriscraft99 10-02-2011 12:32 PM

I haven't sold anywhere near $20k but they are still wanting my social security number.

Has anyone else here run into the same situation?

Kris

julybaby8 10-02-2011 12:34 PM

You shouldn't give your social security number. I've never heard that. Are you sure it is legit and not a scam?

Crafty1 10-02-2011 12:35 PM

I've never heard of that either. Call customer service!

kriscraft99 10-02-2011 12:37 PM

oh it is legit.

When I sign into my PayPal account - there it is, in big red letters.

I know that once you reach $20,000 in transactions AND 200 transactions that you have to file a 1099 for taxes here in the States. I'm over the 200 transactions but no where near $20,000.

Kris

Originally Posted by julybaby8
You shouldn't give your social security number. I've never heard that. Are you sure it is legit and not a scam?

kriscraft99 10-02-2011 12:39 PM

this is the message when I sign into my PayPal:

Please provide us with your tax ID number. Your tax ID number lets us send you Form 1099-K, as required by the IRS under certain conditions. Find more information about the new tax rules and why we need your tax ID at www.paypal.com/irs

I just don't know why they need it if I only meet one of the stipulations - not both.

I guess I'll be making a phone call in the morning :roll:

marknfran 10-02-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I haven't sold anywhere near $20k but they are still wanting my social security number.

Kris

NO NO NO NO, DO NOT GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO
ANYONE OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!

DogHouseMom 10-02-2011 12:41 PM

I think it's $20K OR 200 transactions ... not "and"

romanojg 10-02-2011 12:43 PM

Are you getting this in an email; if so run like crazy? If Pay Pal needs anything from you they'll have a message on your account. I get emails constantly from Pay Pal (supposedly) to update my account but I just delete them all. This scam has been going around for years. I now get them from Wells Fargo since they bought a bank chain saying the I need to update as well; my account has been closed with them for over 5yrs; I delete those as well.

janell2009 10-02-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by marknfran

Originally Posted by kriscraft99

Kris

NO NO NO NO, DO NOT GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO
ANYONE OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO DO NOT GIVE YOU SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OVER THE INTERNET...... THEY CAN SEND YOU A FORM IF THEY NEED YOUR TAX ID NUMBER.

bluteddi 10-02-2011 12:51 PM

I thought it was OR as well.... best to call and make sure.