Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PayPal wants my SS# (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-wants-my-ss-t157483.html)

lovinquilting 10-03-2011 07:01 PM

Send the entire email to: [email protected]. They will let you know if this is real. Anytime I receive email from paypal that looks suspicious, they get back to me. I have seen some really authentic looking emails that says they are from PayPal so when in doubt I double check.

craftymatt2 10-03-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by janell2009

Originally Posted by marknfran

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I haven't sold anywhere near $20k but they are still wanting my social security number.

Has anyone else here run into the same situation?

Kris

NO NO NO NO, DO NOT GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO
ANYONE OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!

I totally agree, call first

NO NO NO NO NO NO DO NOT GIVE YOU SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OVER THE INTERNET...... THEY CAN SEND YOU A FORM IF THEY NEED YOUR TAX ID NUMBER.

writerwomen 10-03-2011 07:23 PM

tax id is not the ss give them a call and keep asking for a supervisor if you think it's so

Suzy 10-03-2011 07:28 PM

I had a small business in my home and I had a Federal ID# along with a state sales tax #. I wasn't incorporated. When I closed my business I filled out a cease business form to both the Fed. gov. and State

Suzy

Alondra 10-03-2011 08:02 PM

Please don't do it - better safe than sorry!

Tinabug 10-03-2011 09:43 PM

I would not give the SS#, I think ok on the tax ID# that's usually the procedure.

Charming 10-03-2011 09:55 PM

Ok i just went to paypal and checked this out. It is correct why they are asking you to provide because you met one of the requirments and you are close to the other as per this:

What is Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 6050W? Under the new legislation, we’ll report to the IRS the total payment volume received by US account holders whose payments exceed both of these levels in a calendar year:

$20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year
200 payments for goods or services in the same year
The IRS changes apply to all payment providers, including PayPal and include all sales that occur on or after January 1, 2011, with the first reports going to the IRS in early 2012. Our goal is to help PayPal sellers understand and comply with the new requirements.

Before your payment volume exceeds the reporting thresholds, you’ll be asked to add your tax ID number, such as a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), to your existing account(s), if you don’t already have one on file

terrt 10-03-2011 10:38 PM

Kris, DO NOT GIVE YOUR SS # TO THEM! This is a spam! They have all the information they need, got it when you signed up for Paypal. I am having the same problem. I am ignoring this. I talked to Paypal

smagruder 10-04-2011 04:34 AM

NO NO NO NEVER GIVE YOUR SS# TO THIS EMAIL....I got the same email and contacted Paypal.... they never ask for that kind of information. I sent them a copy of the email and four more after that one. Hope you did not respond to that email.

GladGrams 10-04-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I haven't sold anywhere near $20k but they are still wanting my social security number.

Has anyone else here run into the same situation?

Kris

I smell FISH too. :thumbdown: