Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PayPal wants my SS# (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-wants-my-ss-t157483.html)

Pieceful Quilter 10-03-2011 04:23 PM

As many others have said, do NOT reply to that email. If Paypal wants that info legitimately, they would tell you to log onto your account and go to the appropriate section there.

This could very well be a scam. There are some very convincing ones out there.

yonnikka 10-03-2011 04:26 PM

The message you received is a SCAM. Don't reply. Copy paste the message and source and send it to the Real Paypal. I've received "fake" emails from scammers abut 5 times for both ebay and paypal and I Caught it --forwarded it back to the real Paypal and real eBay, which confirmed that they were scams.

yonnikka 10-03-2011 04:27 PM

The message you received is a SCAM. Don't reply. Copy paste the message and source and send it to the Real Paypal. I've received "fake" emails from scammers abut 5 times for both ebay and paypal and I Caught it --forwarded it back to the real Paypal and real eBay, which confirmed that they were scams.
The place to send that message is: [email protected]
You know a scam when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

Scissor Queen 10-03-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
The place to send that message is: [email protected]
You know a scam when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

If you had read her second post you would have seen that it was on her account. Not in an email.

Pattigail 10-03-2011 04:45 PM

Tax ID numbers are not Social Security numbers.

Dyan 10-03-2011 04:46 PM

I just checked my Paypal account I do not have a request for my SS number but I counted I have had 130 transactions this year.

Just wondering on the 200 transactions would that be buy and sell ones, or just me selling???

Scissor Queen 10-03-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pattigail
Tax ID numbers are not Social Security numbers.

So what number do you use to file a tax return? That number IS your tax ID. Everybody I've ever filed a tax return for uses their SS# unless they have an ITIN#.

Pattigail 10-03-2011 05:10 PM

You need to apply for a tax ID number with the government. Like if you opened a business you would need a tax ID number for financial transactions, and it is not your social security number.

Jingle 10-03-2011 05:46 PM

My two grown kids have received stuff like this and it is always a scam.

sharoney 10-03-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by Learner747

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
this is the message when I sign into my PayPal:

Please provide us with your tax ID number. Your tax ID number lets us send you Form 1099-K, as required by the IRS under certain conditions. Find more information about the new tax rules and why we need your tax ID at www.paypal.com/irs

I just don't know why they need it if I only meet one of the stipulations - not both.

I have a small business that I run out of my home. I have a tax ID number that I got from the state of Texas that I use when I buy materials so I don't have to pay sales tax on items that I intend to use for my business. It is NOT my SS#. These are two SEPERATE numbers!

I guess I'll be making a phone call in the morning :roll:

Your tax I.D. is NOT your Social Security number! If you have a business registered with the State and Federal Governments, your State will assign you an I.D. number for you to charge sales tax to your customers &/or avoid paying sales tax on the merchandise and supplies you purchase for the operation of your business.

Yes, your SS number is your Tax ID!!! The only way your SS is not your tax ID is if you're a corporation!! You file your taxes with your SS number! The ONLY form you put an EIN on is the schedule C.