Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Peeling hard boiled eggs - argh! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/peeling-hard-boiled-eggs-argh-t118445.html)

dakotamaid 04-24-2011 09:56 AM

I agree with the rest on cooking 12-15 minutes and than right into cold water, plus I add ice to that water. Shells slip right off. I also keep a carton of eggs in the back of the fridge for those deviled eggs which everyone in my family loves!!

DebraK 04-24-2011 10:24 AM

"I wouldn't want to eat an egg that someone else peeled this way and breathed all over it. If it really works."

I have to try it just to see if it does ;-)

QKO 04-24-2011 10:30 AM

I never have any trouble peeling any eggs, no matter how fresh.

a. Boil them until they're hard, or until they're the way you like them.

b. Take the pan directly from the stove to the sink and immediately and continuously run cold water over them until they're cold, ~ 10 minutes.

c. Peel comes off easily, usually in one piece.

No more complicated than that

ozarkmama 04-24-2011 11:34 AM

I learned to peel hardboiled eggs from Martha Stewart years ago and it still works great for me.
1. The older the eggs the better
2. Put room temp eggs in cold water, bring to boil and boil 12-15 min.only. Longer boiling is NOT necessary.
3. While the eggs are boiling, put ice cubes in a bowl large enough to hold all the eggs, Add water to make ice water.
4. When the eggs are done, dunk immediately into ice water and let them stay until they are cool
IT WORKS! I praise Martha every time I peel eggs now.

DeeBooper 04-24-2011 01:51 PM

I used to get so mad peeling eggs....just add about half a cup of salt while they are boiling and no problem peeling them. Make sure you use enough salt...you don't even taste any of the salt. I crack them all good first.

maryel 04-24-2011 02:49 PM

I am over 60 years old and it took me all of this time to learn how to make a perfect boiled egg and peel with ease on an internet site a few years ago. First, to boil them {andit doesn't matter if it is 2 eggs or 10, cover eggs with water and add NOTHING {no salt, vinegar or anything}. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Then take eggs off the heat and keep the pan covered and set your timer for 8 minutes and then they are done! Perfect eggs with no black {rim around the yolk}! So to peel them, hit the egg shell {with a knife or on a sharp surface} around the middle of the egg all the way around. Then the egg shell should come off fairly easy for you! :D

BarbaraTX 04-24-2011 04:05 PM

thanks, everyone, for all your help. I do put them in cold water from the stove. I think my problem is I use fresh eggs. But I will try all your other hints.

Lv2sew2011 04-24-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
If you don't get that thin membrane attached to the shell, you end peeling away most of the egg. Does anyone have a magic way to peel eggs so that doesn't happen?

boil in cold water and soon as you take off rinse in cold water...

linda701 04-24-2011 04:24 PM

I just peeled a dozen eggs yesterday, I hate that job too.

gmaybee 04-24-2011 05:53 PM

I buy my fresh eggs from a lady at work. I was doing the devil eggs for today so bought my eggs two weeks ago, so they wouldn't be so fresh. I boiled them and ran them under cold water. I decided to peel them last night so I could make the eggs after church today. They didn't peel easy, and took 45 minutes to peel 18 eggs.