Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Peeling hard boiled eggs - argh! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/peeling-hard-boiled-eggs-argh-t118445.html)

docideau 04-25-2011 07:19 AM

Fresher eggs are usually always harder to peel. However, once I started using this method, I haven't had a problem, even with eggs I buy the day I want to use them. Here's how I do mine: I cover the eggs with water, add about a teaspoon of vinegar, and bring to a boil. (no lid) I boil for one minute, turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 18 minutes. Pour off the hot water, fill the pan with cold water, and add ice. When the eggs are cool, they should peel readily. I learned this basic method from the Food Channel many years ago, but I only recently started adding the vinegar and ice water. It seems to work; and I hope it will for you as well, if you decide to try it. Good luck!

smiley 04-25-2011 08:28 AM

I also have chickens and can take them fresh out of coop and boil my water, then with a large spoon put them in boiling water. boil 15 mins, pout out water and add cold, leave sit til cool, drain water, roll on counter, then peel. A dear friend gave me this advise

luce321 04-25-2011 09:49 AM

Barbara, when I boil eggs, I put them in tap (cold) water and cover them. Boil for 15 minutes. Throw off the water and fill with water from the faucet. Then take plenty ice cubes and throw over the eggs in the pot f or 15 minutes. You will have no trouble peeling them. Good luck!!!

luce321 04-25-2011 09:52 AM

WOW!!! Debra, that utube video is awesome. I will have to try that.

I do agree with all of you that I would not like to eat and egg that someone had blown on. Ugh!

millivanillisask 04-25-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
My method:

1. Boil the eggs for 20 minutes
2. Run under cold water until cool enough to handle
3. Roll the egg between my hands for a few seconds - the idea is to encourage the shell to separate from the egg
4. Now roll the egg on the counter, lightly tapping to crack the shell on all sides, but not hard enough to break through to the egg
5. Tap the top and bottom of the egg on the counter to make a space for your fingers
6. Begin at the bottom and pull off a section of shell.

About half the time the entire shell comes off as one piece.

I just crack egg on counter , then roll on counter til shell leaves egg.

:D :D :D

G'ma Kay 04-25-2011 11:12 AM

I put the eggs in the pan with about an inch of water. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Turn the heat up, when boiling, turn the heat off, leaving the lid on tight. After 15 minutes, rinse the eggs in cold water, then cover in ice cubes. Mine always peel clean when I do it this way.

Delbra 04-25-2011 12:03 PM

I crack them in a pan under water and no problem.

Slow2Sew 04-25-2011 12:20 PM

A sprinkle of cream of tartar added to the water before boiling also works well for a clean-peeling egg. I usually drain and place the eggs in cool water before peeling so they are easier to handle.

sewred 04-25-2011 12:40 PM

I add salt to the water before boiling and when they are done I empty out the water ( save for later, my mom says it's good for plants) Then add cold water to them and that usually makes them easier to peel.

peonyblue 04-25-2011 12:56 PM

I peel mine this way all the time, makes it so easy. Just gentlt crack, take off one piece, then use the back of the handle of a teaspoon to get off the rest.