Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Phishing warning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/phishing-warning-t273445.html)

Chasing Hawk 12-18-2015 11:52 AM

Phishing warning

I received a "phishing" email this morning. It said it was from Apple. It said someone had tried to use my AppleID.
Even adds a link to Apple.com. As a precaution I reset my password and forwarded the email to Apple.

ManiacQuilter2 12-18-2015 12:49 PM

VERY Smart. This the time for them to be out their hunting for some prey.

Tartan 12-18-2015 01:13 PM

I had one also. I think it was on Pinterest that it came up on and I exited immediately.

ptquilts 12-18-2015 02:33 PM

I would bet the link did not go to the real website. If you hover your mouse over the link, you can see where it really goes.

Chasing Hawk 12-18-2015 02:49 PM

Apple sent me an email back after I reported the incident. They asked for the entire email to be forwarded as an attachment. I appreciated such a fast response from them. Hopefully they can get it resolved or at least learn a little more about these criminals.

sassysews2 12-19-2015 07:54 AM

Yesterday I got a call, AGAIN, from someone reporting problems with my computer, supposedly from Microsoft, They wanted me to sign in, touch certain keys and they would "repair" the errors. When I didn't follow their instructions and questioned them, they told me I was "wasting their time" when i pointed out that they called me, they called me a b1tch and hung up. Got a good laugh, anyway.

Limey 12-19-2015 07:57 AM

My husband was taken in by a 'security" firm called "Rescue Me" and they accessed my computer and put security on that I did not want. Apple were great in cleaning it all out for me but my husband is out for quite a lot of money. I had previously denied two attempts at getting me to sign up for back-up and for dealing with adware. Apple security has always worked for me and they provide good support.

Chasing Hawk 12-19-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by sassysews2 (Post 7407907)
Yesterday I got a call, AGAIN, from someone reporting problems with my computer, supposedly from Microsoft, They wanted me to sign in, touch certain keys and they would "repair" the errors. When I didn't follow their instructions and questioned them, they told me I was "wasting their time" when i pointed out that they called me, they called me a b1tch and hung up. Got a good laugh, anyway.

What really confuses these guys from the "tech" dept. Tell them your computer was stolen and if they are "talking" to your computer. Tell them to let you know where it is so the cops can go get it.

Leaves them speechless.

Carol34446 12-19-2015 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 7408053)
What really confuses these guys from the "tech" dept. Tell them your computer was stolen and if they are "talking" to your computer. Tell them to let you know where it is so the cops can go get it.

Leaves them speechless.

That is hilarious! Thank you.

trolleystation 12-19-2015 05:10 PM

How gullible do they think we are????????????????????????????