Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pictures of our new home. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pictures-our-new-home-t21879.html)

k3n 06-26-2009 06:51 AM

I can see I'll be broadening my education when I come over... It MIGHT happen - DH's company is looking at a site in Seattle but don't know yet if he'll be involved with it yet...

kluedesigns 06-26-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by amma

Originally Posted by beachlady
Karla, real estate taxes and being retired made the decision easier for us. It will be very hard to move from here, but selling my house here has given me lots of extra money to live on! Real estate on the ocean is just ridiculous. My lot here is 50' by 100' and the new house is over an acre and taxes are half of what we pay here and house was also less money, though we did get a good deal on it. This house has been in the family since 1930 - grandfather bought it during the depression - cry when I think about leaving, but the up keep with a house directly on the water was taking a tole on us too. The maintenace is costly and we are getting too old to do most of the work ourselves.

Hopefully we will be able to travel more now and not have to put any extra money into repairs!

More and more people are having to do this out here also! It is sad, but necessary if you want to be financially able to realize the retirement dreams....a friend of mine just had to sell their family homestead, family had been living there since 1905 or 1907.....
But, you will be starting a new "Homestead" for future generations, I can hear the grands and greatgrands "Let's go to the lake and see grama and grampa!!! I want to fish! I want to swim! I wanna boat!" Ahhhhh lots of good memories ahead :D :D :D

this is a common problem for people who live on the water by NYC.

the taxes in this area in NY are extremely high and the prices of "the average" home is very expensive.

its not uncommon to have real estate taxes of $35,000 a year and a home price of $1,000,000 - and trust me these are average homes that would sell for $250,000 some where else in the country.

tlrnhi 06-26-2009 07:04 AM

IT'S GORGEOUS!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!
I'M COMING TO VISIT!!!!!

beachlady 06-26-2009 07:27 AM

You will be very welcome terri.

tlrnhi 06-26-2009 07:29 AM

I'll bring a nice bottle of wine...glasses too and we can sit out and watch the birds. :) :)

Ducky 06-26-2009 07:33 AM

Simply beautiful. The home is drop-dead gorgeous, and I would kill for your outside surroundings. Congratulations on your new change.

tlrnhi 06-26-2009 07:34 AM

See? That's EXACTLY what I am wanting in a home. Well, maybe a few more acres, but that's what I am wanting........

beachlady 06-26-2009 08:04 AM

Remember Terri, I have inside birds too!!! LOL

tlrnhi 06-26-2009 08:05 AM

Oh yes..you have playtoys for my cats lol

bearisgray 06-26-2009 08:07 AM

WOW -