Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   polite moratorium on sewing gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/polite-moratorium-sewing-gifts-t261608.html)

bakermom 02-22-2015 03:45 PM

Perhaps a few well placed comments-either to you wife or a close friend about everyone's generousity and how you don't think you will EVER use up the fabric you have might slow them down.

Dolphyngyrl 02-22-2015 06:00 PM

This is why I love amazon, and gift cards. You can always share you list on amazon through email anytime during the year. You can also add things from other site to your amazon wish list and it will direct them there

joe'smom 02-22-2015 10:00 PM

It sounds as though the big problem is not the fabric per se, but the feelings it creates for you -- of pressure and obligation. I'd suggest you sit down and have a serious talk with your wife. Tell her exactly how people giving you fabric and patterns makes you feel. Tell her the feelings you have about being given fabric are threatening to ruin quilting for you. Make it about you and your feelings, not about her/your friends' actions. Talk together about hints she might drop to friends that you prefer choosing your own fabric and projects.

If it were me, I would keep it and not worry about it (if I had the space), or give it away and not worry about it (if I didn't).

DOTTYMO 02-22-2015 10:22 PM

Why not ask for tokens I in order to make sure the fabric and patterns all co-ordinate to produce a marvellous quilt.
especially as your stack is small and you are finding their kind offers difficult to match up with anything .

jitkaau 02-23-2015 03:35 AM

I accept everything given to me. It then belongs to me to do with as I wish - donate or make - end of problem. One of the nicest gifts was from a work colleague. He obviously observed the colours I used in my quilts and bought a similar range. Perhaps you could work on a few projects in the presence of others and they could see your preferences?
I would not discourage donations as they may stop soon enough as it is.

just joan 02-23-2015 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 7100827)
I think I'd just say in a humorous way, "Whoa, slow down everybody, I have enough fabric and patterns to work with for a decade now! I appreciate the encouragement, but I'll let you know when I need more. Thanks!"

I agree with you. That should make everyone know and understand.

nancyw 02-23-2015 04:45 AM

Every year for Christmas my DH gives me $100 to spend at one shop and a gift certificate for the other shop. He also pays for the two quilt camps I go to every year including the extra nightand the payment for a mystery quilt in September's camp. That s $282 for July and $392 for September. I say he's a keeper.

Seaside gal 02-23-2015 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 7100827)
I think I'd just say in a humorous way, "Whoa, slow down everybody, I have enough fabric and patterns to work with for a decade now! I appreciate the encouragement, but I'll let you know when I need more. Thanks!"

I agree with this statement.

If you have too much fabric, why not donate some to Project Linus or a church group or perhaps a senior center group that makes quilts for charity. I took some fabrics that were given to me to a quilting class and people enjoyed getting the free fabric.

Don't feel obligated to make quilts for the people who gave you the fabrics you don't like. I can see where that would take the joy out of quilting. This is supposed to be fun.

shayarene 02-23-2015 06:52 AM

use the flannel to make a rag quilt. my grandkids love those. it is hard for me to afford to buy flannel to make them each a quilt so I would be thrilled if anyone bought me flannel. LOL

WMUTeach 02-23-2015 07:08 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful gift, my dear friends and family have blessed me with so many tips, tools, patterns and fabric that I will have to live to be 100 to use it all. As I progress and become more skilled I will need to choose the materials that will support my growing skills and interest. Watch for my progress and you never know when my talent will appear on your bed or wall as a quilt created just for you.

When you have persistent givers, bring them in to your quilt "studio" and show them what you planning and the intricacies of planning/creating a good looking quilt. Either they with get over whelmed, bored or become a quilter!