Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pots and Pans (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pots-pans-t40914.html)

Charlee 03-30-2010 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Seanette
I have Revere that's still doing nicely 15 years later (got it as a wedding gift). I can't handle cast iron or similar weight due to wrist problems.

The old cast iron, Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, and some of the skillets that have heat rings and gatemarks on the bottom are nearly as thin and are as light as the higher quality stainless that's available on the market today. If you go for the newer Lodge, (the only cast iron cookware made in America) or the made in China stuff, then it's going to be thick, heavy and clunky...I haunt the antique stores and malls, and watch closely on ebay (make sure that there are GOOD photos, and stay away from yotaman, a seller that overprices his cast iron stuff)

bstanbro 03-30-2010 08:19 AM

Farberware sells nice sets with a good combination of sizes. They are medium priced, but they will last you for the rest of your life. I got some as a wedding gift 35 years ago, and still going strong. As for nonstick--you really need a good nonstick skillet in your collection. I've given up thinking they will last any amount of time. Think of it as planned obsolescence. When it stops being nonstick, donate it to Goodwill and buy another.

Jannie 03-30-2010 08:22 AM

I have some Cutco pans (yes, the knife company makes pans) & a set of Kitchencraft waterless by Westbend. I love them both even though they are a little pricey.

MadQuilter 03-30-2010 08:56 AM

I have a set of Emeril's stainless in the house and a "green" hard anodized set in the camper. Got both at Bed Bath and Beyond with their 20% off coupon. I did a lot of research before I decided. Easy to read on line.

Quilter2B 03-30-2010 09:08 AM

I have a set of Faberware (30+ yrs old) that still looks and cooks like new. I don't care for using it for frying but the saucepans are excellent. If you happen to burn something, just put a little steel wool and elbow grease to it - comes out sparkling bright and clean!

Gelswood 03-30-2010 12:20 PM

I have a set of Permanent cookware we bought in the 60 from a home party. They are waterless etc. I LOVE them. They were pricey whe111n we bought them but well worth it. Don't buy cheap stuff

pookie ookie 03-30-2010 12:37 PM

Le Creuset is my fave. Well worth the money. Makes nice gifts if you have someone who wants a wish list from you. I also have my grandmother's cast iron pans and my father's old Revere sauce pot. Good stuff.

Something I have and don't like very much: Martha Stewart's "eco" nonstick frying pan. Nonstick my butt. And, more importantly, it's not as good of a weapon as a cast iron pan. Too light. Make sure you reach for the heavier iron pan when that burglar breaks in (or your husband starts harping on fabric expenses).

CAK44 03-30-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mommaB
I have the Cook's Essentials Hard Anodized from QVC. I've been using them 5 years and love them, but they are heavy. Non stick, but you can use metal utensils on them, lifetime warranty. They weren't cheap, I can't remeber exactly how much, but I'm thinking $150-180 for a good sized set, but that's cheaper than cephalon, etc.
Good cookware makes cooking a whole lot more enjoyable!!

Mary

I agree with this post. They are worth the money and you can add to them when you are ready. I use them everyday.
CAK44

zz-pd 03-30-2010 06:57 PM

I had pots and pans my mom and dad gave me for my wedding. They were non stick and I just got reed of them, because we got a new set two years ago from a friend for Christmas. the ones from mom and dad lasted 27 years and would have lasted longer. the new seat I can see it is already showing wear. so I guess its the brand you pick. Penny

sewgull 03-30-2010 07:03 PM

Revere Ware with stainless steel bottoms. My favorite, I use a glass top stove and these do good. Cast iron is too heavy. I also have a set of Club Alum, over 40 years old, that still get used.
Revere Ward will stand behind their products. I had a fry pan that develeoped a hot spot, call Revere WAre customer sevice about problem. Pan was replaced with no problem.