Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pots and Pans (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pots-pans-t40914.html)

Carol's Quilts 03-31-2010 01:57 PM

Talk about feeling dumb! I thought you meant some kind of saltine cracker!! I grew up in the 50's and never heard of this gadget. We just put our SB eggs in egg cups and cracked the top with the back of a spoon, then picked off a little bit of the shell, then cut our toast in narrow strips and dunked right into the egg! Then when the yolk was gone, we dug out the whites with the spoon.

Soft boiled eggs are safe to eat as long as you use clean eggs with no cracks. The salmonella comes from the contaminated shell but cooking kills it. If the shell is even slightly cracked, the salmonella can get inside the egg and if you don't cook it thoroughly, then you can get sick. But an uncracked egg will have any contamination killed with the boiling water - same for poached eggs. So don't worry - enjoy your SB eggs!

butterflywing 03-31-2010 02:06 PM

don't be fooled by the name. there's no such thing as stain-LESS. and if you boil anything and run out of water, even the three-layer stainless will warp while it turns black forever.

re: farberware
my dd got fw for a shower gift when she got married 12 years ago. they still look good, but she can't put anything in the oven without unscrewing the handles first. sometimes a recipe will call for stovetop cooking and them last minute browning in the oven. that's for cast iron, but it's very heavy.

Carol's Quilts 03-31-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
don't be fooled by the name. there's no such thing as stain-LESS. and if you boil anything and run out of water, even the three-layer stainless will warp while it turns black forever.

re: farberware
my dd got fw for a shower gift when she got married 12 years ago. they still look good, but she can't put anything in the oven without unscrewing the handles first. sometimes a recipe will call for stovetop cooking and them last minute browning in the oven. that's for cast iron, but it's very heavy.

I have put my Revere Ware pots and lids in the oven without any problem. Of course, they were purchased in 1961 and for all I know, the company may have changed the composition of the handles and knobs. I bet a call to the customer service dept. would clear that up.

butterflywing 03-31-2010 02:31 PM

:lol: :lol: that was the year before she was born :mrgreen:

still good to check out. i'll certainly tell her. thanks.

BARES 03-31-2010 09:22 PM

Any kitchen ware with NSF on it is good. Basically restaurant quality. I have knives and cookware and they are good, but mostly I have hand me down's cast iron that I love. Here is a link to some NSF and you can look it up as well.

Congrats on the new cookware.

http://www.beststainlesssteelcookwar...ookware-2.html

Barb M 04-01-2010 01:27 AM

Wow, funny nobody has mentioned glass pots and pans, maybe i'm a loner in this one lol. Ok, i use glass pots and pans and i love them. I have a set of stainless steel pots that i've had for years, that are still good. I just prefer to not use metal or teflon pots. And i absolutely wont use cast iron, because i already have high iron levels. So about 10 years ago, i found a set of glass pots and pans at the flea market, for 5 dollars! Couldnt believe it. So i bought them and have been really happy with them. Not only do they not leak chemicals and metal into your food, but you can see through the pot to see when it's boiling lol, i love that part about them the best lol :)

Moppet 04-01-2010 03:59 AM

I grew up with them mom bought them when I was 4 yrs old and they were called Lifetime at the time. believe it or not I have couple of them and they are still kicking. that is the ones my stepmother did not kill.

I use stainless steel and cast iron skillets. can't have the other stuff with the parrots the fumes they release in cooking kills them.

ConnieF 04-01-2010 04:07 AM

Hi , Just wat to say I love my waterless set.... My mother got her first set about 45 years ago and then my brother now has them. The ones I bought canbe will 4 generations life warrenty... We plan to buy our son and wife the small set.
My brother bought the small set like ours and he loves them.

I have a set of non stick was aorund 3k and have replace most after 6 or 7 years at 1/2 price for life and love then but have just gotten a flat top stove and you cant ust themon that surface... or not suposed to...but nothing like stainles steel pots and pans.

Having a big garage sale on pots and pans soon as the weather clears.... had the fiber ware set too. + inharated my dh's folks pans too... also stainless. I have a motor home and the camp trailer and all are stocked with ther own cook ware...

all stainless now...

wickn34 04-01-2010 04:40 PM

One Christmas Dillard's was having a sale on an Emeril set. I thought about it for a long time before I spent that kind of money. It was 40 percent off. I have never been happier with any pots or pans. I wish that I had done it long before.

Lurking in MS