Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Printed Newspapers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/printed-newspapers-t290123.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 08-03-2017 04:48 AM

Yes, I love my newspapers. One week I clipped coupons and saved about $50. That was a bonus week. I have a favorite columnist from way back when and I always touch base with and even email him comments from time to time, he's like an old friend. Another columnist left but I keep touch with him too. I love reading the editorials and the business pages. We have a huge section completely dedicated each Sunday to travel and entertainment which is interesting but not something I do much. We used to have two daily newspapers but now just one big one and it's slowly going away too. I like to read the wedding and anniversary notices with pictures and of course, the obits. I love the paper and wish we could get it daily, but we travel and go back and forth with our cottage so I was stopping it all the time. When we go away for the winter, I always subscribe to their local paper too.

AlvaStitcher 08-03-2017 04:50 AM

We moved to another county 3 years ago. Had always gotten a daily paper before our move. I tried one of the papers here but was unimpressed so canceled it. Just started getting a free local paper but just on Thurs. enjoy working the crossword puzzle again. What do missed most about not getting the paper was not having the newsprint to clean my windows with. But I was fortunate in that the guild gives out a quilting newspaper (can't remember the name of it) that I having been using on the Windows or to cover a potentially messy work area.

tessagin 08-03-2017 05:01 AM

Discontinued our subscription 2 months and really don't missit at all. It's nothing but repeat. Our own local tv news channels are usually a day late and dollar short unless it's there biased version and same in the paper. Quality has gone down and price went up.

quiltybarb 08-03-2017 06:32 AM

I still do even tho' I'm also a computer freak.....we take ours to the local humane society for the cages...they're always in need.

ekuw 08-03-2017 10:01 AM

I love reading the paper, but just don't have time in the morning. I grew up in a household devoted to newspaper reading (my Dad is 86 and still reads the newspaper front to back every morning). We got both a AM (big city) and PM (local) and read them both. Since I work full time, it's easier for me to read the news on a computer, when I have a break at work. The world is different now, everything evolves...

Stitchnripper 08-03-2017 01:00 PM

I always got the local paper before we moved. It was very local, although there was some national and international stuff in it. Now here, it is too big of a city for a local paper and I just don't get it delivered. I like having it all on line and I can find the comics and advice columns pretty easy. I even do a mini crossword on my phone every a.m.

purplefiend 08-03-2017 01:43 PM

I used to get the newspaper daily, until the paper had perfumey inserts, didn't like having to throw it out as soon as it arrived.

kay carlson 08-03-2017 08:41 PM

Hubby reads our local paper on line most days. I think he cringes when the quarterly bill arrives, but I read the paper copy through and through before recycling. Our daily paper has been improving in quality and local articles provide information unavailable elsewhere. Example: twice monthly county board meetings. Newspaper printed meeting date and time prior meetings for various gov't boards; forementioned notice describes the agenda; next day detailed report of meeting; no waiting for minutes to be written, approved, and finally posted on line! I can also read about local programs available and review store specials and coupons. I would be Lost without a good daily paper!!!

Murphy224 08-04-2017 02:33 AM

Interesting topic. My Mother is 87 and has taken the daily paper for over 60 years. The local paper delivery became very spotty, and she received a notice that they would no longer deliver missed papers, but It may be delivered the next day. Then the price increased from about 200.00 per year to over 400.00 per year. Most days this paper is only 5-7 pages and mostly ads. She is most distressed. She does not want to read on the computer, says it is not the same as holding in your hand. We have heard rumors that the paper is about to go under and stop printing all together.
I suppose the day of delivery of a daily paper is almost gone. This is a small town, pop. 25,000, so I understand the financial aspects of continuing a daily paper when the subscriptions are down and most everyone either reads on-line, or just gets their news from other sources.
Really sad, isn't it?

carolynjo 08-04-2017 05:27 AM

I love my newspaper and I read it from cover to cover. When I find a serious grammatical error by a local writer, I write that person to let him/her know about it. Yep, I taught for 38 years and do not like to see such errors in the paper. Some are more egregious than others.