Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Puppy Training (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/puppy-training-t140843.html)

dogpursemaker 07-28-2011 11:49 AM

I would also strongly recommend the Woodhouse books. Great for home training! Her instructions and techniques are very easy to understand and use. Very common sense. Big thing is consistency, just like a little kid. They don't understand why it's okay one time, but not the next. I don't know WHY my husband still doesn't understand this!

cminor 07-28-2011 11:52 AM

I have to add my two cents - I just loved this and wish I would have had this tip earlier.

We do the bell by the door to let us know when they want to go out. Works like a charm!

Good luck!! :)

OKLAHOMA PEACH 07-28-2011 11:54 AM

Ok got the puppy trained, my question when will these kittens calm down, who knew 2 kittens could be so distructive.

JulieR 07-28-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
I have to add my two cents - I just loved this and wish I would have had this tip earlier.

We do the bell by the door to let us know when they want to go out. Works like a charm!

Good luck!! :)

YES! We do this, too! The other day Charlie (the one in my avatar) even rang the bell to go outside and get his ball. They really do learn. LOL

Nell 07-29-2011 03:20 AM

Oh! What an adorable face!

rn2wendt 07-29-2011 04:08 AM

go to theisens or any farm supply store or craft store and purchase a small cow bell, tie it on a string/shoe string low so the puppy can move it with their paw or nose by the door you take them out to do their duty. everytime you take them out ring the bell and say " going outside to potty" or something simlar to that always the same thing, in no time they will be ringing the bell when they have to go outside. good luck with your puppy they are great company.

jeannie t 07-29-2011 04:29 AM

I have had large dogs and small ones For 2 weeks i would need to use a crate after that they were trained, be consistant on time you feed them every day and until they were trained I would pick up there food by 6 pm, within 5 min. of feeding we would go outside for a potty break. before they got full run of our house I was always leery of chewing , I would leave them alone in the house shut the extra doors and watch from the outside of the window to see if they were going to start chewing or get in trouble. I would take 2 weeks and devote that time to get them trained and it has always worked for me, best of luck and enjoy your new little buddy!

Julie in NM 07-29-2011 04:35 AM

We had two black lab pups at the same time..why..don't go there...I say get a craite. They feel safe there. Make sure you start them going out side on a scheule. When we put them out we told them to DO THEIR BUSINESS...little gentler for the neighbors..better than saying pee please or time to poop! Congratulations on getting a puppy. So much love going both ways!

scrapbeagle 07-29-2011 05:18 AM

I purchased a book for the specific dog breed and with additional advice from my vet, we trained our beagle as a puppy. When he was old enough, we took him through eight weeks of obedience training. Highly recommend for any dog.
I also crate trained and he loves to snuggle in his crate because it is his very own spot, and as others have said, they will not mess where they sleep. Good Luck!

gspsplease 07-29-2011 05:21 AM

I favour using the words "Hurry up" when you want your dog to toilet -- the neighbours don't know what it means, and it's the first thing that comes to mind when you are standing outside at midnight or when it's raining. Make sure you say it in a happy voice and give your pup a food treat every time when he performs, and you should have no trouble with outside toiletting. It's also very handy to be able to tell your dog to toilet before you go for a car trip.
The best information on all aspects of positive dog training is Ian Dunbar's site http://www.dogstardaily.com sorry I can't get this to appear to click into but you can google it.
cheers