Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question about Amazon Prime features (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-amazon-prime-features-t286848.html)

farmquilter 03-16-2017 04:43 PM

Question about Amazon Prime features

I order things from Amazon but not all the time. I would like some current users details on what buying the Prime can do for you or me. Am a widow, NOT a techy person, on fixed income and have heard about movies offered to Prime members.
Can anyone explain what I can do with the Prime other than ordering books from time to time.

I do have Netflix and run it through my Roku. I prefer the older movies/shows as I use a roof top antenna only. I do not watch any current shows other than Jeopardy and Wheel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated to guide me about buying or not into the Prime.

nativetexan 03-16-2017 04:59 PM

well i use it some myself. sometimes watch movies and sometimes i get British detective shows that I love. I used to do Netflix but got DVD's in the mail. I am also with MHz worldview which has European shows with subtitles. detective ones of course. that is $7.99 a month. I used to get that station on t.v. in Colorado but not here in Texas.
Prime usually saves you shipping. Not on everything though. but most. that helps a lot. My son is about to do that antennae thing, so I may know more about Prime later.

lwbuchholz 03-17-2017 04:33 AM

Gee it sounds like you are much like me. I don't see how Amazon prime would do me any good. When I order I end up with postage free merchandise and my Roku with netflix gives me all the entertainment I need. So with the cost of prime added to all that, it isn't worth it to me so you will have to add things up and see if it is worth it to you.
Lynda

ckcowl 03-17-2017 04:42 AM

I've been a prime member for years.my husband and I make good use of it. He is an avid reader so mostly uses it to keep his kindle well stocked. There are thousands of free books and movies to enjoy with membership plus the free 2 day shipping on all my orders for us it is a savings, good value. We definitely save over the membership fee

Jane Quilter 03-17-2017 04:49 AM

I live in a very rural area, and have trouble walking and getting around. Amazon prime is a lifesaver for me, I order most everything I need on-line and with "free" delivery through my prime membership. It is not really free, but it is a great savings for me.

farmquilter 03-17-2017 04:53 AM

Sounds like buying the Prime feature is just for the free and fast shipping. They keep having prompts for me to use Prime.
I thought some had used it, not just for the shipping or the movies but do not know what else they liked.

In my case, paying shipping on used books, they do not even send anything out for at least 3-4 days. I just cancelled an order last night that was entered on the 11th, not in the process to ship. Wonder if they do that to 'make' people do the Prime.

Thank you for the replies.

slbram17 03-17-2017 05:31 AM

I was not happy when Amazon increased its free ship minimum to 49 dollars. They had a sale on prime last year so I signed up..you can get a refund if not meeting your needdI believe.

slbram17 03-17-2017 05:32 AM

I like the items with free ship.

slbram17 03-17-2017 05:33 AM

Everyone is different. Try it and cancel

Wanabee Quiltin 03-17-2017 05:49 AM

We watch Amazon movies and TV shows most every night. We don't have cable but you do have to have WiFi installed in our home. We go through our TIVO and it's wonderful. We do buy from Amazon occasionally and take advantage of the free shipping, but we get great movies and TV shows all the time, a very good buy for us.