Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Amazon Prime features

Question about Amazon Prime features

I order things from Amazon but not all the time. I would like some current users details on what buying the Prime can do for you or me. Am a widow, NOT a techy person, on fixed income and have heard about movies offered to Prime members.
    Can anyone explain what I can do with the Prime other than ordering books from time to time.

I do have Netflix and run it through my Roku. I prefer the older movies/shows as I use a roof top antenna only. I do not watch any current shows other than Jeopardy and Wheel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated to guide me about buying or not into the Prime.

Blog Entries
    well i use it some myself. sometimes watch movies and sometimes i get British detective shows that I love. I used to do Netflix but got DVD's in the mail. I am also with MHz worldview which has European shows with subtitles. detective ones of course. that is $7.99 a month. I used to get that station on t.v. in Colorado but not here in Texas.
    Prime usually saves you shipping. Not on everything though. but most. that helps a lot. My son is about to do that antennae thing, so I may know more about Prime later.

Gee it sounds like you are much like me. I don't see how Amazon prime would do me any good. When I order I end up with postage free merchandise and my Roku with netflix gives me all the entertainment I need. So with the cost of prime added to all that, it isn't worth it to me so you will have to add things up and see if it is worth it to you.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    I've been a prime member for years.my husband and I make good use of it. He is an avid reader so mostly uses it to keep his kindle well stocked. There are thousands of free books and movies to enjoy with membership plus the free 2 day shipping on all my orders for us it is a savings, good value. We definitely save over the membership fee
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I live in a very rural area, and have trouble walking and getting around. Amazon prime is a lifesaver for me, I order most everything I need on-line and with "free" delivery through my prime membership. It is not really free, but it is a great savings for me.

Sounds like buying the Prime feature is just for the free and fast shipping. They keep having prompts for me to use Prime.
    I thought some had used it, not just for the shipping or the movies but do not know what else they liked.

In my case, paying shipping on used books, they do not even send anything out for at least 3-4 days. I just cancelled an order last night that was entered on the 11th, not in the process to ship. Wonder if they do that to 'make' people do the Prime.

Thank you for the replies.

I was not happy when Amazon increased its free ship minimum to 49 dollars. They had a sale on prime last year so I signed up..you can get a refund if not meeting your needdI believe.

I like the items with free ship.

Everyone is different. Try it and cancel

We watch Amazon movies and TV shows most every night. We don't have cable but you do have to have WiFi installed in our home. We go through our TIVO and it's wonderful. We do buy from Amazon occasionally and take advantage of the free shipping, but we get great movies and TV shows all the time, a very good buy for us.

You can share Prime with someone. I have my DD on my free shipping. She uses her home address and account, not mine. I get enough cash back from using Amazon Visa card to more then pay for Prime each year. On Amazon page click on Prime and there is a listing of all the benefits. I have had Prime since it was available. If it's cheaper on Amazon I buy it, even groceries.
    I love my life!

I use it and it definitely saves me $$$. Shopping, free movies and free kindle books are the parts that I use. I'm a heavy internet shopper so it pays for itself just by that. The convenience of movies and books is just icing on the cake. Its 99 per year but they do have a monthly 11.00 option which I used to see if it was worth it to me. Then I converted to the yearly rate. Every so often they send what's on prime and you can load up your cart with movies etc and when I hit the sewing room they are all waiting for me in my cart. Worth it for me. I don't have a smart tv I use it with my Roku. PM me if you feel so inclined.

Blog Entries
    My daughter shops a lot (she started with all the college textbooks). Her sister, myself and her stepmother are all listed on her prime account. So we all qualify for the shipping discounts and the movie privileges. I buy quite a few items for my projects and getting them quickly is an advantage. Her sister doesn't have cable tv, so the availability of shows is good for her. So, even with the recent price increase, we feel it is a good deal for us. I'm not sure it would be worthwhile if it was just for one person.

Blog Entries
    I use my prime, but here lately everything I order is covered under my prime. I am really disappointed.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Guess it might be an option for me to sign up and see if my DIL would want to be under it as well.
    Lots to ponder and will go look to see the list of what Prime offers.
    Thank you for the input so far.

I use the monthly Prime subscription it's $10.99 a month. I know one can save by paying $99 upfront and be done. But, this works out better for us.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Amazon prime includes access to tons of movies and tv shows as part of the membership. You also have access to all kinds of music. You just stream them through your Roku for the tv and movies. For the music I stream that through Alexa but I think you could stream the music through your computer or possibly your Roku as well. So far everything I've wanted to listen to has been available and it sure is cheaper than buying from iTunes. I've listened to tons of jazz, classical music, blues, 1950s, 60s and 70s rock n roll, world music, folk music, you name it, they've got it.

I love having Amazon prime. For a $99 per year you get all that and free 2 day shipping on anything you buy. For me it's well worth the yearly fee. But the thing that makes it worthwhile for me is that I watch the tv shows, movies, listen to music, and also buy things like art supplies and office supplies, and even some grocery items like tea, trash bags, etc. from them, so I definitely get my money's worth.

if you only order books from them and don't want access to their movies and music, you could always wait until you've got enough items to get their free shipping. That's what I used to do before they created prime.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

I enjoy Prime primarily for the free shipping. I order all types of things (household items, cosmetics/toiletries, books, gifts, etc.). We haven't watched too many movies or shows on it (couldn't find much that we were interested in). I saves me time and gas money running around running errands.

Blog Entries
    I bought a quilting book on Amazon, and I THINK I accidentally signed up for Prime because I'm getting all sorts of emails about it. Now I'm not sure to jump on board and go for it. Is it easy to cancel? My daughter has it, loves it, but has not offered to share it. I didn't know that could be done. Is that something Amazon knows about?

I went and did it, I signed up so I could get my human powered grain mill and some grains. Do not know anything about how to watch a movie but will give Prime a try. At least I can cancel anytime I wish but really need to find out more.
    Thank you for the good 'reviews'.

I have it and love it. I live in rural New Mexico, yet I am lucky enough to have fiber optic cable to get my internet. I don't have cable TV or any other subscription to TV. I can get a ton of free movies and other programming and free shipping of basically anything I want. They also give me a free book for my electronic reader monthly and tons of free books in a library and other free book offers. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I use a reader and enlarge the type, so anything I read is Large Type! There is music, too, but I don't use it.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    I went and did it, I signed up so I could get my human powered grain mill and some grains. Do not know anything about how to watch a movie but will give Prime a try. At least I can cancel anytime I wish but really need to find out more.
    Thank you for the good 'reviews'.
    To watch amazon movies you need a "streaming" device like a Roku. It works through your wireless internet connection to stream movie videos to your TV. We got a refurbished Roku and it works great. you need an HDMI port on your TV to be able to insert the streaming device. My DH has really gotten in to watching some series they have on Prime and there are all kinds of movies.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    I have internet and watch movies on my computer with Amazon. I do have a kindle but must get it working. moved and haven't had the chance to do that.

If you have a prime membership, you can watch a lot of the shows and movies for free. Just look for the word "Prime" in the upper left corner of the movie/show. If its there you can watch for free, the others you have to rent or buy. Hope this helps..
    Kitty

Amazon lists what you can share with others on your prime account. You can have a family account. But if too many are streaming on your password, a red flag goes up.
    I love my life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast