Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question about starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-starch-t251303.html)

Fifee 08-04-2014 05:15 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a couple of old duvet covers that are about to be put in the rubbish so I might try to make something to go over the new cover. The freezer paper is also a great idea; will need to see if its available here in the UK (I've never heard of it!).

Thanks again!

citruscountyquilter 08-05-2014 05:17 AM

I do several things to keep my ironing area clean. I try not to spray around my ironing board. If I'm going to spray near my ironing board I use a small sprayer that I got at a beauty supply place designed for hair spray and it sprays a very fine directed mist.

To starch I spray and then roll my fabric and let it sit for a while for the starch to absorb into the fibers. By doing this when I iron it the fabric is slightly damp. If you spray and then iron immediately the fabric is more wet and you get flakes and starch coming off onto your ironing surface.

I use a piece of muslin over my ironing surface when I am pressing things that have been starched. That way I can easily throw it in the washer when needed.

Best Press has an ingredient that speeds up the absorption into the fibers process and I've noticed that it leaves less residue on ironing surfaces - both on the board and on the iron. It's pricy but I do like it.

To clean my iron I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or other brand). Wet the eraser and use on a cold iron. Works great! I have a shiny sole plate on my iron. I don't know how it would work on a coated sole plate iron.

janjj 08-05-2014 05:18 AM

I recently read an article on making a cover. so I am in the process of making one. Using an old sheet. make it double layer and make so you can put elastic on edges. this makes it reversible and easy on and off. hope I get it to work.

shasta5718 08-05-2014 06:40 AM

I just wash it once in a while,

gram2five 08-05-2014 07:06 AM

I spread a double layer of muslin over the ironing board and attach it with safety pins. Easy to take off and launder.

misseva 08-06-2014 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6831291)
I iron a square of freezer paper to my main ironing area first thing after replacing my cover. The freezer paper sticks fir quite a while and when it gets nasty, I peel it off and stick on a new square. I have also heard that taking the bottom off of a large brown paper bag makes a sleeve to slip on an ironing board if that is your ironing surface.

This is what I do now - sure saves time/trouble. I have a piece of plywood 4' x 2' covered laying on my table. Just iron on freezer paper and I'm good to go.

madamekelly 08-06-2014 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fifee (Post 6831052)
How do you stop spray starch from ruining your ironing board?

This might be considered a stupid question but please bare in mind that I've never used starch in my life before starting quilting. Since using spray starch the cover for my ironing board has become incredibly stiff and even torn in places due to the amount of starch thats accumulated on it over the past while. I realise that I will now have to buy a new one but how do I protect the new one from ending up like the current one?

Silly question I know!

i learned the same lesson, so now I have a dedicated piece of fabric, with snaps to attach it, that I use anytime I use starch. I put it on over the cover so I can wash it as needed.

lynnie 08-06-2014 12:18 PM

i feel your pain. mine is all stuck up with loose threads starched down.