Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A question for you.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-you-t66411.html)

great aunt jacqui 09-23-2010 05:23 PM

baby sitting here 10$ per hour, 15$ after midnight.
before and after school til 6pm at daycare 700$ per month, whether in school or not. Also for every 15 minutes late picking him up is 25$. after doing this for 2 years, my neices solution was to ask her parents to move in her house and care for her son. before I moved up here I was the sitter, and cleaner nd cooked 3 complete meals a week for my neice(a single mom, her son and my 2 teen great neices who lost their mother. oh yea...for nothing. they are family.

grammyp 09-23-2010 05:26 PM

Wow, wages sure have gone up since I babysat. I remember 50 cents an hour too.

stoke 09-23-2010 05:59 PM

50 cents an hour - and something good left in the fridge if we were lucky!

Sew Krazy Girl 09-23-2010 11:08 PM

As a teenager I too babysat for 50 cents an hour and that included twins. Nowadays I don't charge for babysitting the grandkids and that includes chauffeuring them to their soccer and baseball games. Spending time with them is payment enough for me. Lucky me!

Ditter43 09-24-2010 12:34 PM

It's hard to believe a babysitter makes more then minimum wage. I also used to babysit for 50 cents an hour too...so did my DD's....How can anyone afford to pay this much plus the other expenses of going out!! I am flabbergasted!!! :roll: :roll:

Naturalmama 09-24-2010 12:47 PM

Wow - I got $1 an hour - how come regular wages haven't increased as much as babysitting has?!

amandasgramma 09-24-2010 01:16 PM

I find it hard to consider paying a babysitter MORE than minimum wage! I'd not pay it!!!!! I used to be a certified babysitter. Here's my rule of thumb.
1) If I babysit in my home, I feed them food from my fridge....Then minimum wage.
2) I babysit in THEIR home.......gas money and minimum wage. I would take my own food. If they insist I eat there, then we make compensation.

My DD ran across this issue when she needed a babysitter about 10 yrs ago. DD was told $10.00 an hour. She said NO, I'll pay you $___ (can't remember). The teenager took it. LOL I think they quote higher prices to see if they can get it!

SherriB 09-24-2010 01:33 PM

Wow!! Prices sure have gone up!!! :shock: I used to babysit my neighbors 2 children back when I was 13 (late 70's). I got $1.00 an our for both! And the rate didn't change when #3 came along. I am grateful my Mom was able to watch my children when they were little. I never had to worry about them. I watch my grandbabies for DD when she works and the other grandparents watch them when I have to work and can't. There is no way DD could afford daycare, so she only works weekends and Mondays.

amma 09-25-2010 07:41 PM

Teenagers out here charge $3-$5 an hour depending on how many kids...

Daycare is approx $250+ a week per child for full time.

Before and after school is a set amount, with extra charged for the days there isn't any school. I think it runs around $400+ a month. During the summer ofcourse it is more.

They do give breaks to families with more than one child...

I don't know how parents can afford to pay this...

The state only pays approx $2.30 an hour per child... so the daycares only will allow a certain percentage of the kids to be state paid.