Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quick question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quick-question-t247153.html)

amelia0607 05-21-2014 06:50 AM

Quick question

I am going to make cushion covers for a rocking chair. My daughter has made a template of the cushions and I plan to use these to make a pillowcase style cover. I've never done this before but have watched some youtube videos.

Just wanted to see if any of you have done this and what suggestions you may have for me. I'm very much a newbie to sewing and count of you folks for wonderful guidance:)

Thanks for your help!!

Amy

Tartan 05-21-2014 07:15 AM

Are you going to use the old cushions in the new covers? If you have to buy new foam inserts, wait for a sale or coupon because they are getting pricey. You can canibalize bed pillows but some have the fiber fill that gets hard and lumpy.
If the cushions are the kind with ties, sewing Velcro at the back to close the covers between the ties, allows you to remove them to wash when soiled. Use sturdy fabric as they get a lot of wear and triple sew over the ties.

Geri B 05-21-2014 07:16 AM

Make one out of cheap muslin, old sheet or whatever first...make adjustments if necessary then go to good fabric

amelia0607 05-21-2014 08:41 AM

Excellent suggestions! Thank you ladies. I am planning to start work on this tomorrow so if anyone else would like to offer up a hint or two, I would appreciate it.

madamekelly 05-22-2014 10:45 AM

I am watching this because I am about to do the same thing for my (new to me) wooden rocker from 1976. Yes it is
one of the bicentennial ones.

Snooze2978 05-23-2014 06:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This past Fall/Winter I made up cushion inserts and covers for my front porch furniture. I already had some outdoor fabric so purchased a few more for a scrappy look. I also had an old foam piece my mother used to use on her bed so I cut out the shapes from it using an electric knife. I made paper patterns for each piece of furniture so I'd have them for future covers. Here are a few I made up. ............Also JoAnne's was having a sale on their outdoor fabrics so ordered a few more as I don't care how my metal bench one came out color wise............I watched YouTube videos on how to insert a zipper for the swing cushion. Its a little large for the cushion but next time I'll make the changes.

Snooze2978 05-23-2014 06:48 AM

Also, this outdoor fabric said not to put into the washer and it gets so dusty around here. The other day I just took a hose to it to wash off the dust as it was getting a little dingy and the water just beaded up on it but the dirt/dust washed off.....YEAH!!!!!!

JoyceHoopes 05-23-2014 07:30 AM

Beautiful cushions. I just got some outdoors fabric to make some dog beds but haven't yet made them.

diamondee 05-23-2014 07:36 PM

​I need to do this on my swing! Snooze you did a fabulous job!

nwm50 05-24-2014 02:16 PM

Snooze...love all your projects!