Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quick question

Quick question

I am going to make cushion covers for a rocking chair. My daughter has made a template of the cushions and I plan to use these to make a pillowcase style cover. I've never done this before but have watched some youtube videos.

Just wanted to see if any of you have done this and what suggestions you may have for me. I'm very much a newbie to sewing and count of you folks for wonderful guidance

Thanks for your help!!

Amy

Power Poster
    Are you going to use the old cushions in the new covers? If you have to buy new foam inserts, wait for a sale or coupon because they are getting pricey. You can canibalize bed pillows but some have the fiber fill that gets hard and lumpy.
    If the cushions are the kind with ties, sewing Velcro at the back to close the covers between the ties, allows you to remove them to wash when soiled. Use sturdy fabric as they get a lot of wear and triple sew over the ties.

Make one out of cheap muslin, old sheet or whatever first...make adjustments if necessary then go to good fabric

Excellent suggestions! Thank you ladies. I am planning to start work on this tomorrow so if anyone else would like to offer up a hint or two, I would appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    I am watching this because I am about to do the same thing for my (new to me) wooden rocker from 1976. Yes it is
    one of the bicentennial ones.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

This past Fall/Winter I made up cushion inserts and covers for my front porch furniture. I already had some outdoor fabric so purchased a few more for a scrappy look. I also had an old foam piece my mother used to use on her bed so I cut out the shapes from it using an electric knife. I made paper patterns for each piece of furniture so I'd have them for future covers. Here are a few I made up. ............Also JoAnne's was having a sale on their outdoor fabrics so ordered a few more as I don't care how my metal bench one came out color wise............I watched YouTube videos on how to insert a zipper for the swing cushion. Its a little large for the cushion but next time I'll make the changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Also, this outdoor fabric said not to put into the washer and it gets so dusty around here. The other day I just took a hose to it to wash off the dust as it was getting a little dingy and the water just beaded up on it but the dirt/dust washed off.....YEAH!!!!!!
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Beautiful cushions. I just got some outdoors fabric to make some dog beds but haven't yet made them.

Blog Entries
    ​I need to do this on my swing! Snooze you did a fabulous job!
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Snooze...love all your projects!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

What nice cushions and pillows you made. You just gave me a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    This past Fall/Winter I made up cushion inserts and covers for my front porch furniture. I already had some outdoor fabric so purchased a few more for a scrappy look. I also had an old foam piece my mother used to use on her bed so I cut out the shapes from it using an electric knife. I made paper patterns for each piece of furniture so I'd have them for future covers. Here are a few I made up. ............Also JoAnne's was having a sale on their outdoor fabrics so ordered a few more as I don't care how my metal bench one came out color wise............I watched YouTube videos on how to insert a zipper for the swing cushion. Its a little large for the cushion but next time I'll make the changes.
    Very pretty. I especially love the pillows!

Well ladies my getting started on this had a bit of a delay. My daughter has been put on bed rest for complications with her pregnancy so my days have consisted of cooking, cleaning, and chaufering her - just like when she was little. She's doing ok and we've gotten into a routine so I'm going to try to start on it again. But not sure how to do this since I don't have my tools (mat, ruler, cutter). She doesn't even have a box of pins so a run to the store is a must.

Thanks for all your wonderful tips!!

Don't forget to use 1/2" seams and clip all curves. Use pipping if you like. Zippers are easy if you make them separate and then add to the front and back. I use heavy duty zippers. Don't forget to open up the zipper a bit so you can turn it right side out. I hope this helps. You can get good information from a Simplicity pattern.

Blog Entries
    You also may want to try using velcro - easy to take off and hand wash. Just spray it with Scotch Gard fabric protector