Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilt Police Sting Operation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilt-police-sting-operation-t155362.html)

bearisgray 09-25-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster

Originally Posted by amazon

Our Preacher says, that there is just no excuse for somethings , you might as well just say; Peanut Butter! Or when you don't know what to say.

Peanut butter... when you don't know what to say? I'm afraid I would be using that response WAY too often. I might get hungry...

Some people say "SUGAR!"
When it's really bad, they say "BROWN SUGAR!"

bearisgray 09-26-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
I walked right into it. I wanted to go a class, just a one night quick thing or so I thought. I had 3 hrs to learn what I wanted to learn so didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late. I've only been to a few classes and the ones I've gone to before didn't require much so I didn't take much. Took enough precut pieces (barely) no thread, no seam ripper. I mean, if I have someone instructing me I shouldn't have to rip anything out...right? Wrong and I didn't even do the ripping out right. I grabbed my most abused rotary cutter because it was the only one I could find. Some of my pins had a little rust but when I said most of my pins were on other quilts I'm working on, she seemed disturbed and said "more than 1"? I am grateful she didn't have my address to check out my quilts or I would be in serious trouble. I left feeling very inadequate and as soon as I got home, I started organizing my needles and pins for the 1st time ever. Anyway, she did say something I can use against her if necessary. I would love to make this quilt be perfect so I could take it back to her and prove I'm nor completely inept but I think we all know that probably won't be happening anytime soon.

Waiting to hear "the rest of the story" - - - -

MacThayer 09-26-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by amazon
Peanut Butter !

Please explain ?

My family has always used "Oh, Sugar jets!" Don't ask me where it came from, or how it got started, but I'd rather hear that than a lot of explicative's I hear used casually these days. I still use it today. It conveys serious frustration or anger, it makes me feel better, and it offends no one.

Just-Lee 09-26-2011 01:19 PM

I have written and deleted 3 times now. All I can do is apologize to LynnZ and say that I am sorry for how you must feel right now after reading all of these comments. I am really speechless...

I would just like to "encourage" you to keep chugging along and I am sure you will find a class you will love :)

mcdaniel023 09-26-2011 02:02 PM

I think Lynn meant that she thought that even though she had to be late, she could still go and get something out of the class. I have a feeling her pins weren't really rusty and the rotary cutter not that bad....just not up to the teacher's standard. I read it differently than most of you. I saw humor not an attack on the teacher. She is not perfect and that is ok with her.

lynn_z 09-26-2011 03:11 PM

I guess I have to ask you the same..are you for real? I did not know I would be the only student for the class. I didn't get home from work until late and rushed as much as I could to be on time. I cannot walk out of work if I am needed there. I had the option of cancelling the class but because it was last minute, I did everything possible to make it. I did not have an attitude just thankful I wasn't any later. Of course, I brought some supplies but she could have easily told me any other requirements in her emails. It was a difficult pattern but if it was easy, I wouldn't need a class. I left early because the only thing keeping her there was me and I knew she was tired plus 1 class fee doesn't pay for 3 hours of teaching. If she had not of had a friend there that she was chatting with the first 2 hours, I could have learned what I needed sooner. All I have to compare to is other classes which I have always not only learned something but had a good time. I was very let down and will not take another class there. I have been a loyal customer for many years and I know she didn't know that but since it was an advanced pattern, she should have known that I bought lots of fabric somewhere. There's more quilt police than you can imagine, obviously.

redmadder 09-26-2011 04:27 PM

snicker, snicker, hehehe, oh my gosh, giggle, guffaw, rof, roflmao, belly laugh, glad I took time to read the whole thing.

Sadiemae 09-26-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
I guess I have to ask you the same..are you for real? I did not know I would be the only student for the class. I didn't get home from work until late and rushed as much as I could to be on time. I cannot walk out of work if I am needed there. I had the option of cancelling the class but because it was last minute, I did everything possible to make it. I did not have an attitude just thankful I wasn't any later. Of course, I brought some supplies but she could have easily told me any other requirements in her emails. It was a difficult pattern but if it was easy, I wouldn't need a class. I left early because the only thing keeping her there was me and I knew she was tired plus 1 class fee doesn't pay for 3 hours of teaching. If she had not of had a friend there that she was chatting with the first 2 hours, I could have learned what I needed sooner. All I have to compare to is other classes which I have always not only learned something but had a good time. I was very let down and will not take another class there. I have been a loyal customer for many years and I know she didn't know that but since it was an advanced pattern, she should have known that I bought lots of fabric somewhere. There's more quilt police than you can imagine, obviously.

1. An Instructor should tell you exactly what to bring, I always give a supply list.
2. An Instructor should not chat with a friend. Her job at the moment is to teach you.
3. I am so sorry you had such an awful experience. I love teaching, and I always try to make all of my students feel comfortable.
4. If an Instructor doesn't want to teach just one student, she should cancel her class.
5. I hope you will finish your quilt and show us pictures. I would love to see them.

bearisgray 09-26-2011 04:37 PM

I'm still confused - but hope the next class you go to goes much better.