Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilt-retreats-fibromyalgia-t151117.html)

vickig626 09-07-2011 09:50 AM

Just wondering if anyone who has Fibro has gone on a quilt retreat. Specifically, how did you handle your pain while trying to sew, etc. for 2+ days. Were you actually able to enjoy the weekend?

I know this might sound like a strange question but I'm thinking about going to the MI Lake Huron Retreat but not sure if I can handle those "camp" beds, sewing, quilting, etc. for 2-1/2 days plus the drive there and back.

Fibro sucks !! :thumbdown:

Thanks for any input.

bearisgray 09-07-2011 09:51 AM

Hope you are able to figure out a way to make this work out for you.

sewwhat85 09-07-2011 09:54 AM

i take a 2 inch memory foam topper for my bed when going on retreat it helps

Nanamoms 09-07-2011 10:07 AM

I sometimes have to go to a event for a couple of days and I am constantly busy while there. I pace myself leading up to the event. If I have to drive, I allow time to stop and walk around. I take my own pillows (a bunch of small ones) to prop various parts of me up and I increase my pain meds just a little. I have a pillow I use while I'm "busy" and I make sure to get up and walk around every little bit and do a little stretching especially doing repetitive work. I make it thru and when I get home, I crash for a day or 2. I can't stop the pain while I'm at the event and always pray that I'm not in a major flareup. But these little "preparations" help me thru and I can enjoy the event while I'm there. My doctor gave me little exercises to do if I have to sit, stand or drive too long. And don't be shy if you have to stop and rest...otherwise it wouldn't be known as a retreat!

Kehoeta 09-07-2011 10:11 AM

I'm planning on going to the Lake Huron retreat also. If it would help, I can drive.. I have a Tahoe, so it is comfortable for longer trips and for most passengers.

PM me if you are interested.

SuziC 09-07-2011 10:16 AM

I hope you have a wonderful time!!!!

3incollege 09-07-2011 10:20 AM

Just go and have a good time. Try not to think of the pain, you will have such a good time that maybe it will be like therpy for you. Take the most comfortable clothes and foam bed topper.
Go have fun. Drink lots of wine.

qbquilts 09-07-2011 10:21 AM

I don't have fibromyalgia, but have been on several retreats that use "those dreaded camp beds" :-). Several people bring some type of foam memory topper and/or an air mattress (either a thin one to use on top of the bed or a nice thick one to put on the floor next to the bed). Also - most people bring some type of cushion(s) to use and some even bring their own chair from home. I don't know if any of these cushions/toppers were from fibromyalgia or just plain comfort, but they're an idea if they help.

Airwick156 09-07-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I'm planning on going to the Lake Huron retreat also. If it would help, I can drive.. I have a Tahoe, so it is comfortable for longer trips and for most passengers.

PM me if you are interested.

What a nice gesture to offer to drive her. What a blessing and just think...what a great way to meet a board member. :)

BrendaY 09-07-2011 10:32 AM

If I was in my 50's, I would go... bringing all my comforts with me. But I'm in my 60's now, and absolutely would not... I'm much happier and more comfortable at home where I can rest, work, rest in 15 minute intervals....... but that's just me.. Maybe you should try it once, so you'll know next time a retreat comes up..