Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rabbit Hole? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rabbit-hole-t243610.html)

Learner747 03-20-2014 06:06 PM

Rabbit Hole?

Today I was at the doctor's office and she began talking about a Medicare rabbit hole. I told her I did not understand. So she repeated what she had said. I still don't understand. What is a rabbit hole?

amyjo 03-20-2014 06:13 PM

she might have meant a donut hole? used to be if you had that new fangled insurance Part D you had to meet the donut hole before the insurance paid for all your medications.

Prism99 03-20-2014 06:42 PM

Doughnut hole. There is a gap in the Part D medication coverage. It pays for medications up to a certain amount, then nothing, then it pays again once your total for the year exceeds the other side of the doughnut hole.

Rabbit hole might actually be a better name for it, though! :D

Chasing Hawk 03-20-2014 07:11 PM

It should be called the money sink...:)

Tartan 03-20-2014 08:24 PM

I saw a report that some hospitals want to put you under observation instead of admitting you. If they put you down under observation, you end up paying for the hospital stay. The report says to make sure they admit you so the cost are covered by Medicare? It seems there are a lot of rabbit holes that can end up costing you big bucks if you are unaware.

Teddybear Lady 03-20-2014 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6637287)
I saw a report that some hospitals want to put you under observation instead of admitting you. If they put you down under observation, you end up paying for the hospital stay. The report says to make sure they admit you so the cost are covered by Medicare? It seems there are a lot of rabbit holes that can end up costing you big bucks if you are unaware.

I've heard about this too.

jetayre 03-21-2014 05:57 AM

Rabbit hole/donut hole

Originally Posted by tartan (Post 6637287)
i saw a report that some hospitals want to put you under observation instead of admitting you. If they put you down under observation, you end up paying for the hospital stay. The report says to make sure they admit you so the cost are covered by medicare? It seems there are a lot of rabbit holes that can end up costing you big bucks if you are unaware.

there are a lot of holes......under part d , your drug part of insurance (you pa extra to get reduced drug expense...insurance) then you pay a reduced amount for your drugs. They list the price you pay (maybe $70.00 for three months worth) and they list the listed actual price of the drug and that is the amount that is added up to your total (under approximately $3000) then the donut or rabbit hole. If you take many pills for the year, it adds up fast.
If you have medicare then that covers all but 20% and you have to buy coverage for that 20% donut hole only it is not a donut hole.....it is just a costly hole if you don't get the extra insurance....some place like aarp, etc. Oh, yes and ake sure your dr or hospital accepts medicare, etc.

Bobbielinks 03-21-2014 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6637287)

My secondary insurance Coventy sent me a letter to this affect.

nativetexan 03-21-2014 07:04 AM

http://www.medicare.gov/part-d/costs...erage-gap.html

Stitchit123 03-22-2014 05:08 AM

I have no clue how any of it works through medicare. I went with SilverScript for my medicines-there is little to no monthly premium. My co-pay is under $11 on 3 prescriptions. But with Part D they were going to cost me some wheres between $95 and $150. These amounts depended on either who I talked to or the day of the week I called. Neither of which I can afford. Also keep an eye on your 80/20 A friend of mine is being billed over $3250. on a $3700. hospital bill. Apparently there's a newer new math the gov. did not tell us about.