Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rabbit Hole?

Blog Entries

Rabbit Hole?

Today I was at the doctor's office and she began talking about a Medicare rabbit hole. I told her I did not understand. So she repeated what she had said. I still don't understand. What is a rabbit hole?

Blog Entries
    she might have meant a donut hole? used to be if you had that new fangled insurance Part D you had to meet the donut hole before the insurance paid for all your medications.

Blog Entries
    Doughnut hole. There is a gap in the Part D medication coverage. It pays for medications up to a certain amount, then nothing, then it pays again once your total for the year exceeds the other side of the doughnut hole.

Rabbit hole might actually be a better name for it, though!

It should be called the money sink...
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    I saw a report that some hospitals want to put you under observation instead of admitting you. If they put you down under observation, you end up paying for the hospital stay. The report says to make sure they admit you so the cost are covered by Medicare? It seems there are a lot of rabbit holes that can end up costing you big bucks if you are unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I saw a report that some hospitals want to put you under observation instead of admitting you. If they put you down under observation, you end up paying for the hospital stay. The report says to make sure they admit you so the cost are covered by Medicare? It seems there are a lot of rabbit holes that can end up costing you big bucks if you are unaware.
    I've heard about this too.

Blog Entries

Rabbit hole/donut hole

Quote Originally Posted by tartan View Post
    i saw a report that some hospitals want to put you under observation instead of admitting you. If they put you down under observation, you end up paying for the hospital stay. The report says to make sure they admit you so the cost are covered by medicare? It seems there are a lot of rabbit holes that can end up costing you big bucks if you are unaware.
    there are a lot of holes......under part d , your drug part of insurance (you pa extra to get reduced drug expense...insurance) then you pay a reduced amount for your drugs. They list the price you pay (maybe $70.00 for three months worth) and they list the listed actual price of the drug and that is the amount that is added up to your total (under approximately $3000) then the donut or rabbit hole. If you take many pills for the year, it adds up fast.
    If you have medicare then that covers all but 20% and you have to buy coverage for that 20% donut hole only it is not a donut hole.....it is just a costly hole if you don't get the extra insurance....some place like aarp, etc. Oh, yes and ake sure your dr or hospital accepts medicare, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    My secondary insurance Coventy sent me a letter to this affect.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    I have no clue how any of it works through medicare. I went with SilverScript for my medicines-there is little to no monthly premium. My co-pay is under $11 on 3 prescriptions. But with Part D they were going to cost me some wheres between $95 and $150. These amounts depended on either who I talked to or the day of the week I called. Neither of which I can afford. Also keep an eye on your 80/20 A friend of mine is being billed over $3250. on a $3700. hospital bill. Apparently there's a newer new math the gov. did not tell us about.

It makes me mad that you left your doctor without understanding what she was talking about. Never be ashamed to take someone with you to help remember, understand and ask questions for you!

The donut hole will stop paying for medications after a set amount is used. Then you end up paying 3-5 thousand to get through it. If you get a better insurance it will pay for generic medications if you are in the donut hole or a more expensive policy will cover all at that time. Be sure to know what medications you are on and try for generic if you don't have the additional insurance. You should receive statements from the medicare dept telling you how far you are from the donut hole.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oklady View Post
    It makes me mad that you left your doctor without understanding what she was talking about. Never be ashamed to take someone with you to help remember, understand and ask questions for you!
    My husband was with me in the room and he was as befuddled as I was. I see now that it was lack of knowledge of Medicare's plan.
    Learner

I'm getting dizzy reading all this! Luckily I haven't used either of my private ins or Medicare yet except for a checkup once last year. U just wait....it's gonna get me now! Lol
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !