Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Red Heart Super Saver Yarn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/red-heart-super-saver-yarn-t279133.html)

bearisgray 05-31-2016 05:49 AM

Red Heart Super Saver Yarn

It seems like the different colors have different "hefts"

I have been knitting squares that will be assembled into baby/toddler blankets, and some skeins/colors will yield 3+ squares and some skeins/colors yield not quite 3 squares.

I have a postal scale that can weigh in grams and my finished squares have turned out to be slightly different sizes (although each color is fairly consistent) and they do weigh more or less - depending on the color.

Just a heads up for anyone using this yarn.

I think my tension is fairly consistent - so I think it is the yarn that is causing the differences.

ManiacQuilter2 05-31-2016 08:40 AM

Doesn't surprise me at all. I will pass this info onto others who knit in our church group.

Geri B 05-31-2016 05:39 PM

Wonder if the depth of color----- more/less dye to be absorbed--- has anything to do with weight.

DOTTYMO 05-31-2016 10:57 PM

I always feel black is heavier than white. Glad I now know it is.

redstilettos 06-01-2016 03:58 AM

I always thought this, too, and thought it was due to my inexperience knitting or crocheting. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

good idea with the scale!

madamekelly 06-01-2016 12:11 PM

Even if your tension is uniform, when you crochet you will use slightly more one one square, and slightly less on another. That is the very nature of "tying the knots" used in crochet. As long as you have the same number of stitches in each motif, you will have no trouble with assembly, and the first time you wash it in cold water, the threads will relax, expand, draw up, what ever, and everything will be even looking. I crocheted for years until carpal tunnel tried to get me. I quit crochetting and 17 years later, I still have complete use of my hands. I do miss it.

bennie0755 06-02-2016 05:10 AM

I found that the different skeins DO come out as slightly different weights even though they are supposed to be the same. It makes some of the stripes in the afghan lighter than others.

PKGranny 06-02-2016 05:46 AM

Yarn skeins

[QUOTE=bearisgray;7564322]It seems like the different colors have different "hefts"

I have been knitting squares that will be assembled into baby/toddler blankets, and some skeins/colors will yield 3+ squares and some skeins/colors yield not quite 3 squares.

I have had the same problems. I find the solid seems to have more yardage than some of the variegated. And the dual-colored twisted yarns seem to be thinner than the wt. stated....and they seem to split. I always feel like I need to buy an extra skein..........and then I have all these building up!!

Aurora 06-02-2016 07:47 AM

I was going to do some crocheting using some Red Heart Super Saver and didn't like to the feel of the yarn after using Red Heart "Love ". It is softer and the colors are more intense. The Super Saver is going to Goodwill.

bearisgray 06-02-2016 08:34 AM

The variegated yarn skeins are smaller than the solid color ones.