Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Remember when ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/remember-when-t259355.html)

DebbieJJ 01-09-2015 05:02 AM

I've always said that I was born a decade too late...born in Dec 1956, almost missed that year! At halloween, I would dress up in poodle skirts and saddle shoes, and a sweater that reminded me of the '50's, and wear my hair in a ponytail. At work, there were so many people to comment on my one outfit year-after-year, that I knew it never got old and brought back a lot of good memories.

Momala24 01-09-2015 06:27 AM

It was my absolute favourite treat and I did exactly the same thing you did!

bearisgray 01-09-2015 07:19 AM

Wonder what Elvis' life would have been like if he would have had a different manager?

I think of him with sadness - it seemed like he had so much - but was it "enough" for him?

fivepaws 01-09-2015 09:52 AM

High school class of '58. Loved Elvis, Mom hated him "he was disgusting!". We had Sock Hops, played bridge, hat, heels hose and gloves outside the house, especially for church. Ballerina length gowns for dances, drive-ins were no-no's, chocolate cokes, May D & F in Denver, the old ferry to Coronado, CA. (no bridge back then). Ah, I could go on and on.

gramajo 01-09-2015 10:15 AM

I graduated HS in '59. Ricky Nelson was my favorite (I know I'm strange). Didn't like Elvis then, but came to appreciate his voice later. I sat in my car overnight waiting at Ticketron to get tickets for what turned out to be his last concert in Chicago, at the old Stadium. My husband said we could go only if I promised not to scream. Had great seats fairly close to the stage. I still remember where I was when I heard he had died. We were in a restaurant at a motel in Springfield after seeing The Captain and Tenille in concert at the state fair the night before. They were having breakfast a few tables away from us.

psychonurse 01-09-2015 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by clem55 (Post 7039049)
I remember drive-in movies and sock hops, watching Bandstand with Dick Clark tight jeans, baggy shirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes, records shops where you listened to and bought 78 RPM records, cherry cokes at the drugstore counter,( not the bottled kind), talking on a party line phone; garter belts to hold up your hose, wearing a hat to church , and always wearing a dress or a skirt to school, and crinolines under full skirts( the more the better). I was in high school back then!!LOL

Clem 55, I am with you. such great memories.

madamekelly 01-09-2015 12:30 PM

The movie "Jailhouse Rock" was released on the day I was born. I remember my favorite candy bar "Big Hunk" was huge and cost only a nickel. I also remember buying bread as a kid at 5 loaves for a dollar!

mojo11 01-09-2015 01:39 PM

I remember well. Saw the movies-the old one- several times each. Have all the records------both 45's and LP's. That's how old I am! LOL

ManiacQuilter2 01-09-2015 01:51 PM

Sorry, I was a Beatles fan. She loves me yeah, yeah ,yeah !!! I do remember him on Ed Sullivan show!!

Jingle 01-09-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by clem55 (Post 7039049)
I remember drive-in movies and sock hops, watching Bandstand with Dick Clark tight jeans, baggy shirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes, records shops where you listened to and bought 78 RPM records, cherry cokes at the drugstore counter,( not the bottled kind), talking on a party line phone; garter belts to hold up your hose, wearing a hat to church , and always wearing a dress or a skirt to school, and crinolines under full skirts( the more the better). I was in high school back then!!LOL

I remember these also. I was grade school a junior high school.