Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remember when ...

Blog Entries

Remember when ...

Elvis would be 80th today. Tell us what you remember from those days (seniors!)
    Black and white movies, King Creole, Jailhouse Rock, Love me Tender ?
    Last edited by ligia; 01-08-2015 at 04:51 AM.
    loving retirement

We were stationed at millington naval base just north of Memphis when Elvis died and the city all but stopped operating. It was such a shock and dominated the news for days.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Power Poster
    I bought my kids a stocking stuffer tin of Mackintosh's toffee for Christmas this year. It was $6 but I remember when I could buy it in a box for 5 cents. I took it out of the box and it was a bar wrapped in wax paper. Before I opened the wax paper, I would smack the rectangle on the table with my hand to break it into pieces. Does anyone remember this stuff? I loved it!

Today is my wedding anniversary. To this day (38 years) my SIL insists we chose this date because it was Elvis' birthday. He became a much better performer than anyone would have thought, nobody like him, RIP Elvis.

Blog Entries
    Oh, yes, Tartan! Thanks for that memory!! Bought some about 10 years ago and was soooo disappointed. Just did not taste the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I bought my kids a stocking stuffer tin of Mackintosh's toffee for Christmas this year. It was $6 but I remember when I could buy it in a box for 5 cents. I took it out of the box and it was a bar wrapped in wax paper. Before I opened the wax paper, I would smack the rectangle on the table with my hand to break it into pieces. Does anyone remember this stuff? I loved it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I remember drive-in movies and sock hops, watching Bandstand with Dick Clark tight jeans, baggy shirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes, records shops where you listened to and bought 78 RPM records, cherry cokes at the drugstore counter,( not the bottled kind), talking on a party line phone; garter belts to hold up your hose, wearing a hat to church , and always wearing a dress or a skirt to school, and crinolines under full skirts( the more the better). I was in high school back then!!LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
    I remember drive-in movies and sock hops, watching Bandstand with Dick Clark tight jeans, baggy shirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes, records shops where you listened to and bought 78 RPM records, cherry cokes at the drugstore counter,( not the bottled kind), talking on a party line phone; garter belts to hold up your hose, wearing a hat to church , and always wearing a dress or a skirt to school, and crinolines under full skirts( the more the better). I was in high school back then!!LOL
    Have the same memories! My dad wouldn't let me go to town with him once because my jeans were to tight...can't imagine how he would feel about the skinny jeans they wear now!!

Watching American Bandstand was my favorite. Also,living in Wisconsin and listening to DJ Dick Biondi on WLS out of Chicago

Dick Biondi is still on the radio in Chicago, 94.7FM

Blog Entries
    Class of 1956 - To be honest, I never cared about Elvis Presley. I never cared for his singing either. I was 36 when he died. For those that liked his singing, sorry, I just didn't. I liked Sam Cooke(You Send Me), Frankie Laine (Mule Train - couldn't dance to that one), Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett (thank God he is still here - with a beautiful voice yet - just heard him sing the other day), the Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody) And today, for me, it is Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Josh Groban. Michael Buble'. I wouldn't give a plug nickel for any of the new songs of today. But the songs to dance to in the 50's really meant something and when a teacher would come up to you and tap you on the shoulder because you were dancing "too" close, Those Were the Days, My Friend!

We didn't have the sock-hops. They were called Canteens. In the school gym. And begging my dad to have the car for the Homecoming parade and I couldn't even drive it because I was in the marching band (as well as concert) and
    I had to march in the parade, pajama parties and calling up on the radio to have them play a song for so and so and so and so calling back asking for a song to be played at the pajama party on such and such a street. The 50's were the best years ever. Well, until I married my husband in 1960 and lived happily ever after.

Don't forget we wore gloves when we went out, took them off to take Communion, Penny Loafers, argyle knee-highs, Sweater sets, mint green tops and navy blue skirts (Why, I don't know, someone thought the combination was good, and it was), poodle hair cut, poodle skirt, Bernard Altman Cashmere sweaters (and you were really something when you had a cashmere sweater) wearing our collar on our blouse up (thought it was cool, but it distinguished you from being a nice girl or a hood's girlfriend. My mom stopped that in a hurry. Always dressing to look our very best when we went to school......in class, raising our hand, two fingers up and the teacher knew you had to be excused to the bathroom, Someone stop me. I could go on for hours and I have a quilt to put together today. Happy reminiscing!

It's all in our memories all in a very special place. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I've always said that I was born a decade too late...born in Dec 1956, almost missed that year! At halloween, I would dress up in poodle skirts and saddle shoes, and a sweater that reminded me of the '50's, and wear my hair in a ponytail. At work, there were so many people to comment on my one outfit year-after-year, that I knew it never got old and brought back a lot of good memories.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

It was my absolute favourite treat and I did exactly the same thing you did!

Power Poster
    Wonder what Elvis' life would have been like if he would have had a different manager?

I think of him with sadness - it seemed like he had so much - but was it "enough" for him?

High school class of '58. Loved Elvis, Mom hated him "he was disgusting!". We had Sock Hops, played bridge, hat, heels hose and gloves outside the house, especially for church. Ballerina length gowns for dances, drive-ins were no-no's, chocolate cokes, May D & F in Denver, the old ferry to Coronado, CA. (no bridge back then). Ah, I could go on and on.
    All my grand-children have paws.

I graduated HS in '59. Ricky Nelson was my favorite (I know I'm strange). Didn't like Elvis then, but came to appreciate his voice later. I sat in my car overnight waiting at Ticketron to get tickets for what turned out to be his last concert in Chicago, at the old Stadium. My husband said we could go only if I promised not to scream. Had great seats fairly close to the stage. I still remember where I was when I heard he had died. We were in a restaurant at a motel in Springfield after seeing The Captain and Tenille in concert at the state fair the night before. They were having breakfast a few tables away from us.

Clem 55, I am with you. such great memories.

Blog Entries
    The movie "Jailhouse Rock" was released on the day I was born. I remember my favorite candy bar "Big Hunk" was huge and cost only a nickel. I also remember buying bread as a kid at 5 loaves for a dollar!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I remember well. Saw the movies-the old one- several times each. Have all the records------both 45's and LP's. That's how old I am! LOL

Sorry, I was a Beatles fan. She loves me yeah, yeah ,yeah !!! I do remember him on Ed Sullivan show!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I remember these also. I was grade school a junior high school.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My Husband is a BIG Elvis fan. He acted like he lost his best friend the day Elvis died.
    I liked the song he sang when he got older and the more mature voice.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I remember thinking, If Elvis can die then anybody can die. I was young and it just shocked me that he was dead!! As God's word says "It is appointed unto man to die once then the Judgment".
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I remember a time of large family gatherings, a time where family helped each other in a time of need no matter what. Kids respected their parents and parents took pride in their children. I remember more peaceful times, people going to church, didnt lock doors at nite, could take evening walks, greeting people sitting on their porch swings or chairs on a Sunday afternoon, a time of community Friday nite fish frys, black rotary phones with 2 digit numbers, local operators if needed to call outside your town, doctor house calls, penny peanut machines or gum ball machines. It was a time of giving not just at christmas time. Growing our own veggies and preserving them for the winter. Had to be home from dates by midnite. church dances for teens , getting our mail at the post office, no process foods or fast food restaurants other than A and W. Oh and cant forget the argyle socks and the cashmere sweaters. Oh what a time it was!!!

These are my memories too!
    Alyce

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lildinks2013 View Post
    I remember a time of large family gatherings, a time where family helped each other in a time of need no matter what. Kids respected their parents and parents took pride in their children. I remember more peaceful times, people going to church, didnt lock doors at nite, could take evening walks, greeting people sitting on their porch swings or chairs on a Sunday afternoon, a time of community Friday nite fish frys, black rotary phones with 2 digit numbers, local operators if needed to call outside your town, doctor house calls, penny peanut machines or gum ball machines. It was a time of giving not just at christmas time. Growing our own veggies and preserving them for the winter. Had to be home from dates by midnite. church dances for teens , getting our mail at the post office, no process foods or fast food restaurants other than A and W. Oh and cant forget the argyle socks and the cashmere sweaters. Oh what a time it was!!!
    Remember the little A&W glasses that the little kids would get free. We used to go for a ride every night (I think it was down time for Dad from his job and his ride with us after dinner and a rootbeer was his best time. At Christmastime we would go past peoples home (we were in the car) peeking into peoples homes and admiring the decoration lights outside and my Dad would always say "Boy, the got they money." I had a little deck 7x7 built out front last year, big enough for two rockers, a table, the dog, me and whoever wanted to come over. I always serve a glass of wine and we sit out there and visit in the afternoon before dinner or in the evening after dinner. I am promoting the "What goes around comes around". Maybe people will realize how important this is in a neighborhood. I live in a wonderful neighborhood with caring people (I sure hope I am one of them) and have discovered that our neighborhood is so much loved that when a family grows, they don't sell; they build up a story on the house. We have three houses on our block, two are finished - one is almost done. We, yes, share our veggies, perennials, annuals, seeds. I am 76 now and I learned all of this from my parents and my friends' parents when I was growing up. Little noteworthy tidbit........I went to Alexander Ramsey High School in Roseville, Mn (second graduating class for that school - 1956 and I was the first person in the school that came to school in argyle knee highs. I bought them in Milwaukee and Milwaukee was a little more sophisticated than St. Paul and soon the other girls were wearing them. I was a junior or a senior. I loved Cherry Cokes. I loved going to the bakery and getting a loaf of bread for Mom and she would always say "Don't eat the heel if it is hot, it'll stick to your stomach." Well, I think she wanted the heel!!!!!!!!! Remember Cinch belts? Wide leather belts to go with the full skirts and crinolines. I wore five crinolines and had a horrific time trying to sit in the seats in the classroom!!!!!!! Starched!!!!!!! I remember when the first Dairy Queen opened up in Minnesota. It was a block away. I remember the first McDonald's opening up. I think the hamburgers were 15 cents. I know I got White Castles for 12 cents. Still love them - still tastes the same, except I think they are 84 cents now. Always five White castles and a small French fry!

I remember the year my husband and I got married (1960) dead broke - had $1.50 to our name - Friday night - Went to a triple decker movie for 50 cents a piece and then went up to the local Porky's drive-in and had all the coffee you could drink for ten cents. Came home with 30 cents. Saw three movies and planned our wedding, our life together which lasted for 53 years.

Thanks for letting me reminisce - againnn! I still have records, 78's, 45's, 33-1/3 lp and 8 track tapes, cassette tapes and cds. Where do we go from here? Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 01-10-2015 at 05:48 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast