Remember when ...

Old 01-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

My Husband is a BIG Elvis fan. He acted like he lost his best friend the day Elvis died.
I liked the song he sang when he got older and the more mature voice.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM

I remember thinking, If Elvis can die then anybody can die. I was young and it just shocked me that he was dead!! As God's word says "It is appointed unto man to die once then the Judgment".
Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 PM

I remember a time of large family gatherings, a time where family helped each other in a time of need no matter what. Kids respected their parents and parents took pride in their children. I remember more peaceful times, people going to church, didnt lock doors at nite, could take evening walks, greeting people sitting on their porch swings or chairs on a Sunday afternoon, a time of community Friday nite fish frys, black rotary phones with 2 digit numbers, local operators if needed to call outside your town, doctor house calls, penny peanut machines or gum ball machines. It was a time of giving not just at christmas time. Growing our own veggies and preserving them for the winter. Had to be home from dates by midnite. church dances for teens , getting our mail at the post office, no process foods or fast food restaurants other than A and W. Oh and cant forget the argyle socks and the cashmere sweaters. Oh what a time it was!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
I remember drive-in movies and sock hops, watching Bandstand with Dick Clark tight jeans, baggy shirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes, records shops where you listened to and bought 78 RPM records, cherry cokes at the drugstore counter,( not the bottled kind), talking on a party line phone; garter belts to hold up your hose, wearing a hat to church , and always wearing a dress or a skirt to school, and crinolines under full skirts( the more the better). I was in high school back then!!LOL
These are my memories too!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:42 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by lildinks2013 View Post
I remember a time of large family gatherings, a time where family helped each other in a time of need no matter what. Kids respected their parents and parents took pride in their children. I remember more peaceful times, people going to church, didnt lock doors at nite, could take evening walks, greeting people sitting on their porch swings or chairs on a Sunday afternoon, a time of community Friday nite fish frys, black rotary phones with 2 digit numbers, local operators if needed to call outside your town, doctor house calls, penny peanut machines or gum ball machines. It was a time of giving not just at christmas time. Growing our own veggies and preserving them for the winter. Had to be home from dates by midnite. church dances for teens , getting our mail at the post office, no process foods or fast food restaurants other than A and W. Oh and cant forget the argyle socks and the cashmere sweaters. Oh what a time it was!!!
Remember the little A&W glasses that the little kids would get free. We used to go for a ride every night (I think it was down time for Dad from his job and his ride with us after dinner and a rootbeer was his best time. At Christmastime we would go past peoples home (we were in the car) peeking into peoples homes and admiring the decoration lights outside and my Dad would always say "Boy, the got they money." I had a little deck 7x7 built out front last year, big enough for two rockers, a table, the dog, me and whoever wanted to come over. I always serve a glass of wine and we sit out there and visit in the afternoon before dinner or in the evening after dinner. I am promoting the "What goes around comes around". Maybe people will realize how important this is in a neighborhood. I live in a wonderful neighborhood with caring people (I sure hope I am one of them) and have discovered that our neighborhood is so much loved that when a family grows, they don't sell; they build up a story on the house. We have three houses on our block, two are finished - one is almost done. We, yes, share our veggies, perennials, annuals, seeds. I am 76 now and I learned all of this from my parents and my friends' parents when I was growing up. Little noteworthy tidbit........I went to Alexander Ramsey High School in Roseville, Mn (second graduating class for that school - 1956 and I was the first person in the school that came to school in argyle knee highs. I bought them in Milwaukee and Milwaukee was a little more sophisticated than St. Paul and soon the other girls were wearing them. I was a junior or a senior. I loved Cherry Cokes. I loved going to the bakery and getting a loaf of bread for Mom and she would always say "Don't eat the heel if it is hot, it'll stick to your stomach." Well, I think she wanted the heel!!!!!!!!! Remember Cinch belts? Wide leather belts to go with the full skirts and crinolines. I wore five crinolines and had a horrific time trying to sit in the seats in the classroom!!!!!!! Starched!!!!!!! I remember when the first Dairy Queen opened up in Minnesota. It was a block away. I remember the first McDonald's opening up. I think the hamburgers were 15 cents. I know I got White Castles for 12 cents. Still love them - still tastes the same, except I think they are 84 cents now. Always five White castles and a small French fry!

I remember the year my husband and I got married (1960) dead broke - had $1.50 to our name - Friday night - Went to a triple decker movie for 50 cents a piece and then went up to the local Porky's drive-in and had all the coffee you could drink for ten cents. Came home with 30 cents. Saw three movies and planned our wedding, our life together which lasted for 53 years.

Thanks for letting me reminisce - againnn! I still have records, 78's, 45's, 33-1/3 lp and 8 track tapes, cassette tapes and cds. Where do we go from here? Edie

Last edited by Edie; 01-10-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
The movie "Jailhouse Rock" was released on the day I was born. I remember my favorite candy bar "Big Hunk" was huge and cost only a nickel. I also remember buying bread as a kid at 5 loaves for a dollar!
I could appreciate the Beatles, Elvis, even the Rolling Stones, but my love for music came alive when I fist heard Queen. Their compositions were so complex! That is the music of my youth.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 AM

I remember those times so well. Elvis was just getting started and would come to our local radio station with Scotty and Bill and do live shows. My very good friend worked there and she would bring me with her and I got to be in the studio while they did the show. I got to talk to Elvis a lot, he was funny and loved to joke around and have fun. I think a lot of his problems came from not having freedom to go out with his friends and have fun without being mobbed. I loved the poodle skirts and all the full skirts and the birth of rock and roll that our parents thought was a sin.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 PM

Yes remember all those things. I was camping with friends in Northern Minnesota when Elvis died. There will never be another Elvis.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:01 PM

I worked in Albert Lea MN there was a pizza place called "The pizza cellar" best pizza ever. also spamoni ice cream. Just can't buy that anymore. back then a small dip cost 25 cents so suppose it would be too expensive to make that good now. A few months ago I also rented a french horn for 2 months.(I sold mine when I graduated to help pay for my college). I don't remember the fingerings . The last 2 weeks it just sat there. I guess I would rather spend my time quilting! memories.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 PM

I saw him in concert 4 times, once in SF and 3 in Las Vegas, every time I was blown away by the reactions of the female crowd, he was handsome and I liked him and his voice, but I never went gaga over him.