Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Retirement....what state and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/retirement-what-state-why-t188461.html)

Sweeterthanwine 05-09-2012 07:44 PM

Retired and moved to Northern Nevada (near the Reno area). Weather is good, get some snow but not enough to stop you from doing anything, Lake Tahoe nearby, skiing in the mountains, fishing at the lake, nice slow pace of life and no state income taxes. Can get a little warm at times, but we seem to always get a cooling breeze in the evening. We love it after the busy lifestyle in California.

kathdavis 05-09-2012 08:07 PM

I'm retiring right here if my girls are here. Family and friends are so much more important to me than location.

2manyhobbies 05-10-2012 03:51 AM

We'll never leave Wisconsin, but we love travel and hiking so that's what we do. We like winter. It slows things down so we can get inside things done, like quilting!

Cindy60545 05-10-2012 03:56 AM

I just retired a couple of months ago & haven't moved from just east of Dallas. I love the rural area, but closeness to the big city. Our property taxes are pretty low, no income tax, weathers pretty good most of the time, @ a month of extreme hot in summer, but A/C helps a lot. It's good here. If I were to move, it'd be central Florida. Around the Winterhaven area. Love the pace there.

Dodee 05-10-2012 05:55 AM

Believe me - people need to think about their families when they retire. Years ago I read in Ann Landers, or equivalent, a letter from a woman who retired to the south and then her husband passed away. She had no really good friends and her family was miles from her to the North; however, she did not have the money to make a move, nor relatives who could help her. It's best, I feel, and speaking from experience, to stay near family. It will save a lot of heartache and a lot of money (trying to sell the home - particularly in today's economy). You never know what the future has in store for you.

barb55 05-10-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Glenda m (Post 5204188)
House bought and paid for, children and grandkids near by, friends. Nope..staying right in the middle of Oklahoma, even if we do have to dodge the tornados once in a while.

I agree with you 100%. I think this is the best state.

matraina 05-10-2012 07:23 AM

We live in Ohio and have been retired for some time. All my family and friends are in Ohio. We love being with the grandchildren. We winter in FL but I'd never leave home.

anita211 05-10-2012 08:19 AM

We are looking at Cuenca, Ecuador. I am from Minnesota, he is from California. We both are pretty sick of Minnesota winters. This area of Ecuador has a great group of ex-pats, and they use the dollar for currency. Even on my own SSI one can live quite comfortably, and never have to do housework again because there are plenty of people that are housekeepers. Then there is the gardener (once a week), driver (when needed to get to that fabric shop), and doctor (who makes housecalls) and there is still money left over for good eats both at home and out. Plus the weather is gorgeous...

Anita in Northfield, MN

ging10ging 05-10-2012 08:34 AM

We've lived in Fl. for 20 yrs and had one hurricane Charlie to evacutate and we might have been able to stay home even tho it was a Cat 4 the house didn't get an awful lot of damage mostly the pool cage. It's hot in the summer. Tornadoes we have water spouts they don't usually come on shore. We don't have a state income tax. We do get if this is your primary home you get Homestead which is the first $50,000 on your house you don't pay taxes on. We live in Port Charlotte south of Orlando they get worse weather than we do because the cold fronts get there 1st and by the time they get here they've kind of burned themselves out not to say we couldn't get something and also this is the West coast the East coast also gets worse weather. The storms they tell us we'll get a thunderstorm and it goes to the other coast. We need some rain. We are from RI and our little darlings followed us down here. Just check it out before you move anywhere to see how you really like it vacation is wonderful but when you move somewhere you see things are very different in other areas of the country I found that out the hard way but we love it down here. Good Luck. Sue

MrsM 05-10-2012 08:44 AM

We are looking at NC. My husbands daughter is there with her husband and our granchild. We'd love to be near them Our Daughter is also thinking of moving there in the near future. Hopefully our son will follow so we all will be together. We have good friends there as well. But if we all stay here in New York that would be fine too. You know what happens when you make plans. lol