Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Retirement....what state and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/retirement-what-state-why-t188461.html)

gaby4v 05-09-2012 01:24 AM

Retirement....what state and why?

Let's say you are ready to retire and you have the choice to retire anywhere you want, where would you go and why? We have a few years to go, but already talking about it...considering location, weather, taxes etc......
What would be your choice???

QuiltnNan 05-09-2012 03:28 AM

I grew up in upstate New York. I then worked in south Florida for 30 years... just LOVED the weather. But I retired to Minnesota! Why... because my daughter lived here and she asked me to come and babysit the DGKs. It has really been worth the hassle of the bad weather :thumbup:

ptquilts 05-09-2012 03:31 AM

We live in VT and spend winters on the AL coast. Best of both worlds. But I would not want to live there permanently. Our family is in New England.

DogHouseMom 05-09-2012 03:50 AM

England. My husband may not be included as he say's he'll never go back (for more than a visit).

Sew N Tune 05-09-2012 04:09 AM

We are looking at Mississippi. No taxes on your retirement.

sweet 05-09-2012 04:12 AM

I can hardly wait for more responses to your question. I too, am considering a move and am looking at places along the gulf coast. Best for property taxes is suppose to be Fl, but you have other factors like no state income tax in TX. Medical facilities, recreational opportunities, family all come into play along with the price of housing. I'd like to explore the southeastern coastal areas, but have not had the opportunity to get that way yet. Best of luck on your research!

MissSandra 05-09-2012 04:13 AM

I would not retire to NY the taxes are so high here , if you like hot sticky weather Florida but you have tornados and hurricanes or at least when I was there I had to evacuate several times. I love Calif but you get to rock and roll and yes its expensive there also. So consider the weather where you desire to live and do alot of research.

Joset 05-09-2012 04:27 AM

i am retired and hope to stay in North Dakota. was born and raised here.
i now there is a lot of warmer places to be but so far i love the four season
we have here.

Glenda m 05-09-2012 04:43 AM

House bought and paid for, children and grandkids near by, friends. Nope..staying right in the middle of Oklahoma, even if we do have to dodge the tornados once in a while.

Phyllis42 05-09-2012 04:43 AM

I don't think a person can retire to a region because of the weather, because it is changing constantly. Is family a factor? Friends? Urban or rural locations are everywhere. After 14 years in rural Montana, I chose high desert rural AZ. Do miss the convenience of many stores in Phoenix, but love the quieter, slower rural area. "The grass is always greener on the other side." Just list what is most important to you.