Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rib Knit Fabric for collars for Bereavement Gowns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rib-knit-fabric-collars-bereavement-gowns-t250671.html)

sval 07-25-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6817303)
What are you using for a pattern?

A paper pattern provided by the hospital. It's very basic. It actually looks a bit like a kimono, raglan short sleeves, simple front on a fold and two back pieces. Nothing very special.

madamekelly 07-25-2014 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sval (Post 6817305)
A paper pattern provided by the hospital. It's very basic. It actually looks a bit like a kimono, raglan short sleeves, simple front on a fold and two back pieces. Nothing very special.

Please understand, I am not an artist, but here is a drawing of what I am talking about. If this still isn't clear, I will make one and show you actual pictures of the steps. They do work up quite nice. You could just make them all white and add different ribbon colors for boy or girl. I watch Walmart for rolls of ribbon on sale cheap for such things. Usually I find rolls for around a dollar.

bearisgray 07-25-2014 05:39 PM

Looks a bit like a mini-peasant blouse.

lynnie 07-25-2014 06:30 PM

i use t-shirt knit, it doesn't have to be rib knit. t shirts are even on sale at joanns this week 4/$10 buy xl

madamekelly 07-25-2014 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6817623)
Looks a bit like a mini-peasant blouse.

Exactly, but these fit to the wrist and neck, both. White flannel with pink or blue ribbons would be charming.

sval 07-26-2014 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6817587)
Please understand, I am not an artist, but here is a drawing of what I am talking about. If this still isn't clear, I will make one and show you actual pictures of the steps. They do work up quite nice. You could just make them all white and add different ribbon colors for boy or girl. I watch Walmart for rolls of ribbon on sale cheap for such things. Usually I find rolls for around a dollar.

thanks. That's basically what the pattern I'm using looks like. It has short sleeves though. I understand the neck now. It's like making a casing and putting the skinny ribbon through it. I'll give that a try on the next one.
You've been very helpful. So many nice ladies on here. I can always count on someone having the answer. I'll try to post a picture of the one I finished.
While we're on the subject, have you ever made a cloth envelope? The hospital uses them for the paperwork, etc. for the parents.

quilt1950 07-26-2014 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6817143)
They are made for parent of stillborn or deceased babies to wear.

They are also used for babies that are going to pass. They like to dress the baby in something that looks like 'real' baby clothes, so that the families of the babies can cuddle with their child wearing something that looks like regular clothes. (Gosh, that was hard to write.)

madamekelly 07-26-2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by sval (Post 6817865)
thanks. That's basically what the pattern I'm using looks like. It has short sleeves though. I understand the neck now. It's like making a casing and putting the skinny ribbon through it. I'll give that a try on the next one.
You've been very helpful. So many nice ladies on here. I can always count on someone having the answer. I'll try to post a picture of the one I finished.
While we're on the subject, have you ever made a cloth envelope? The hospital uses them for the paperwork, etc. for the parents.

You could use one of the online tutorials for an iPad cover, and just use the dimensions that the hospital has requested, to make the fabric envelopes. Youtube has several videos for making the iPad covers if you want instructions you can watch as you make them. (BTW- you can put the ribbons in a casing, or as we did, we used the ribbon to stitch back and forth through the fabric about 1/3 inch below the stitching for the hems. I am willing to make one today for a friend's DD to use with her doll, so you can see it. Stay tuned and I will post pictures some time this evening. Peace

llong0233 07-26-2014 09:04 AM

I have never heard of a bereavement gown. Where would it be worn and who would wear it?

justme CA 07-26-2014 09:10 AM

What the heck is a bereavement gown?