Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rolling Power Outages in Texas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rolling-power-outages-texas-t96144.html)

quiltykitty 02-02-2011 10:31 AM

It hasn't hit me yet, but probably will before it is over. In an attempt to keep the system from going down, Ercot (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) has instituted rolling power outages across Texas. So far, Dallas and Houston have been hit. Sure hope this doesn't last long. And my thermometer is set at 65 F. Lower at night. Only thing I have going is Internet and one light. Doing my part. Bet my electric bill this time will be sky high.

erstan947 02-02-2011 10:32 AM

make quilts while the elect is on:)

np3 02-02-2011 10:36 AM

Talked to some friends in Texas this morning, their power was out for a bit. Very cold. Anyone still believe in Global Warming?

quiltlonger 02-02-2011 10:39 AM

Yes, sew while you can! and get a pattern and fabric hunted up to "cut" while power goes out, or one to lay under and bind while power is out. Wishing you a short stay :in the dark!

missgigglewings 02-02-2011 10:57 AM

I think our are is doing that too. We lost power at 7:30am and again at 11:30am. No wind or rain either time, came back on after 20 mins. I am waiting till 3:30 to see if it happens again!

bj 02-02-2011 11:02 AM

Evidently Austin is doing this also. Several of my son's friends have been without power off and on. I haven't heard of any outages in my area, yet.

KathyAire 02-02-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
It hasn't hit me yet, but probably will before it is over. In an attempt to keep the system from going down, Ercot (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) has instituted rolling power outages across Texas. So far, Dallas and Houston have been hit. Sure hope this doesn't last long. And my thermometer is set at 65 F. Lower at night. Only thing I have going is Internet and one light. Doing my part. Bet my electric bill this time will be sky high.

We've had the blackout twice, today. The only good thing is that they only last (here) for 15 minutes.
On another note, something in our well froze. We don't have water and can't use the bathroom.

isnthatodd 02-02-2011 11:49 AM

We've had 2 short outages so far. I just hope that if they continue tomorrow that school will be cancelled again :lol:

debbieumphress 02-02-2011 12:48 PM

We are south of Ft. Worth and frozen solid. NO water here, our well is ok but the lines are froze, electricty off from 4am to noon. On now. We aren't close enough for those rolling outages. They just announced that that is stopping at least for now. Texas is just not ready for this type weather. Everything is closing. So glad we have propane gas for out heaters we kept. And we can turn on the stove. Now about my daily bath and such.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sewgray 02-02-2011 07:47 PM

I'm in Tomball and we lost power 3 times this morning. I heard on the news it was because one of the plants in mid Texas(area hardest hit by the freeze) water pipes froze. Well everyone else knew it was coming, you would think they would have too.