Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rough towels.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rough-towels-t298131.html)

meanmom 07-09-2018 04:18 AM

I would continue to line dry them. Try adding vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser. It is supposed to soften them. I haven't done it but my DD does. Adding fabric softener makes them not as absorbent.
If they are that rough fluff them for a couple of minutes after line drying.

farmquilter 07-09-2018 05:30 AM

[QUOTE=meanmom;8090560]I would continue to line dry them. Try adding vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser. It is supposed to soften them. I haven't done it but my DD does. Adding fabric softener makes them not as absorbent.

I never use softener in the wash machine--only white vinegar to rinse. It is to help remove all the soap residue from the fabrics. Sometimes I use a piece of a dryer sheet to dry things that might cause static.

ckcowl 07-09-2018 05:59 AM

You did it ( backwards) hang them until almost dry then put in dryer to fluff, soften, finish drying. Vinegar in the rinse helps soften too

sewnclog 07-09-2018 06:04 AM

I too like the way the rough towels feel; sort of invigorates the skin. I hang almost everything on the line; rarely use my dryer even in winter. I had things on a line in the garage. (Makes the garage smell good too)

Jordan 07-09-2018 06:28 AM

I run my towels thru the dryer for about 10 minutes and then hang them out and when they are dry I run them thru the dryer just to soften and fluff and have had no problems at all. I use hot water and maybe that is the difference or maybe the towels have chemicals from the pool that make them rough. We used to have a diving pool at our other house and I know the chemicals in our pool water made the towels a little more stiff.

ptquilts 07-09-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8090480)
Why not dry them on the line? I actually like the feel of a rougher towel on my skin. I feel it helps get rid of the loose skin I have.

Agree, it's like a mini-massage.

MaryKatherine 07-09-2018 07:37 AM

Dry them on the line, then fluff them in the dryer.

mac 07-09-2018 08:10 AM

My dryer was on the fritz for about a year and I had to dry my towels on the line. When I finally got my dryer fixed, I was so happy, no more drying off with sandpaper towels. The funny thing is, even though I never use fabric softener on my towels, I swear that the line dried towels never seemed to absorb as much as the dryer towels.

Kitsie 07-09-2018 08:33 AM

I like rough, too! Also like my facecloths like that, I just use a dry one to scrub my face then moisten it to wipe. Never have to use creams, etc.

A friend's Mum used to use so much softener with her towels that they looked nice but did not absorb anything! Just smeared the water around on your body!

tranum 07-09-2018 09:31 AM

I hang jeans over our composite (it’s not wood but recycled plastic) railing because all the tumbling in a dryer wears on them. They feel a bit stiff when we put them on at first but soften up quickly. I would hang out towels if I had enough railing. As someone pointed out, fabric softener prohibits absorption.