Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rough towels.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rough-towels-t298131.html)

mamagrande 07-08-2018 07:47 PM

Rough towels..

So I have a swimming pool and there are days that I have lots of family over to swim...not all of them remember to bring towel. I have plenty of large heavy towels... Now to the problem, I had about 7 large towels to wash and because I did not want to run my dryer for a long time I put them in about 5 min. i thought to fluff them up, and then I hung them up on a line. When I took them down they were really rough and kind of stiff.

I remember hanging up wet towels on the line when I was young, ( I am 77) and I don't remember them being so rough. What am I doing wrong, because they were not super dirty I washed them in cold water and Gain. Gee, maybe old dogs can still learn from other.;)

cashs_mom 07-08-2018 08:00 PM

I always remember towels hung on the line being rough. I've never hung towels because of that.

quiltingcandy 07-08-2018 08:00 PM

We lived on a lake and my mom never had a dryer - we hung up towels outside all summer long. She used fabric softener but the towels were never as soft as the ones I get out of the dryer. Not a big deal, we used them anyway and they would soften up with use. My niece does not used fabric softener - she uses dryer sheets and her towels are never soft.

Anniedeb 07-08-2018 09:19 PM

I dry my towels for a few minutes, them hang them outside. When I bring the towels in, I fluff them in the dryer to soften them up.

bearisgray 07-08-2018 09:40 PM

Why not dry them on the line? I actually like the feel of a rougher towel on my skin. I feel it helps get rid of the loose skin I have.

notmorecraft 07-08-2018 10:27 PM

My husband and son prefer summer towels to winter towels, I live in Scotland summer towels dried on line and are rough, in the winter in the drier and they are soft. :D

institches33 07-08-2018 11:17 PM

My mother always hung laundry outside. When Mom finally got a modern washer & dryer my father said the towels didn't feel like carpets anymore.

mermaid 07-09-2018 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8090480)
Why not dry them on the line? I actually like the feel of a rougher towel on my skin. I feel it helps get rid of the loose skin I have.

I'm with you, bear--Ilove the way rough towels stimulate the skin--I feel cleaner. I used to hate bathing at my in-laws..she used so much softener the towels would not absorb the water on my skin. I always felt ''still wet'' as I got dressed.

bearisgray 07-09-2018 04:00 AM

exfoliate was the word I wanted - for line-dried towels

Karamarie 07-09-2018 04:07 AM

I used to hang out laundry and found you need a good breeze to get fluffy towels and oh they smelled so good!