Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   S.S. scam calls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/s-s-scam-calls-t314673.html)

Julienm1 03-09-2021 02:30 PM

I used to work for identity theft service similar to LifeLock. We'd get members calling all the time. They have a warrant for my arrest and I have to pay an outstanding balance. They Said I need a new SSN cuz my credit card was compromised, My grandson has been arrested in Italy. No there is no warrant. Cops know where you live. Credit card co will help with this IF your card was compromised. Call your grandson's dad/mom or him. Amazing how many people fall for these scams. Sad these "business" are functioning. So sad. People get really scared.

Jingle 03-09-2021 05:20 PM

I have caller ID. If I don't know the name, I don't answer. Scam calls and telemarketers just come with their ;phone; number also as the name. Dead giveaway. We have gotten calls from Husband's name and our phone number, very clever of them, haha.

IceLeopard 03-09-2021 09:31 PM

Unfortunatly, blocking rarely blocks the actual spammer. Those "local numbers" are spoofed -- they're being used fraudulently. The spammer is in India or Pakistan or some other impoverished country, not down the block from you.

marsharini 03-10-2021 03:00 AM

iPhone has a nice feature to “silence unknown callers.” The calls immediately go to voice mail and surprisingly no one leaves a message!

ptquilts 03-10-2021 04:09 AM

I have had dealings with the SSA the last few months (I call them) but before they speak with you, there are 5 or 6 questions you must answer, not just your name and SS#, or name and last 4. So if you want to have fun with them, tell them that and then wait for the questions. They won't have a clue.
Another reminder, never let anyone connect to your PC and especially not your online bank account.

IceLeopard 03-10-2021 06:05 AM

Or you could start playing with them. Most of us are *ahem* "ladies of a certain age." So be a ditzy old lady. I just channel my granny and let her babble. This is my script for the "Microsoft" callers. I start by not even knowing how to turn the computer on, "Frank! How do you turn the computer on? My grandson usually does that for me but he hasn't been back to help me since the power went out on Tuesday or was that Thursday no it was Wednesday because Thursday was the day that Jenny called me because she was in the emergency room with the baby the poor little thing had fallen and split his ear open on the coffee table and she needed me to help hold him down while they stitched it up did you that the top of your ear is hollow on the inside? So anyway what was it you called about Deary? Oh yes turn on the computer. Well when Michael does it for me he says "computer, on!"

I have about 20 minutes of that, rambling from one subject to another until the spammer either gets tired and hangs up or I hit him with the finale. "So who was it you worked for again, dearie? Microsoft? Oh your mother must be so proud that her son has a job with such a big important Corporation. I bet she tells all of her little old lady friends "Yes, my son is a thief and a liar. He spends his days trying to scam ignorant old people out of as much money as he can take them for."

OurWorkbench 03-10-2021 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard (Post 8467230)
Or you could start playing with them. Most of us are *ahem* "ladies of a certain age." So be a ditzy old lady. .... "Yes, my son is a thief and a liar. He spends his days trying to scam ignorant old people out of as much money as he can take them for."

This is one of the times, I wish there was a "Like" button.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

trustme2 03-11-2021 06:21 PM

One time I told the 'car warranty' gal when she ask the make and model of my car. "It is a 1974 surrey pulled by Fritz and Daisy"

KwiltyKahy 03-12-2021 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8467250)
This is one of the times, I wish there was a "Like" button.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

I want a like button, too

Quiltwoman44 03-12-2021 03:07 PM

OH i try not to do too much to the lovely callers. if they have my number they probably have my address too. so...
i once got a call from the FBI, so the man said. from Mexico about my (husband's) grandson. they used a son's name though. in jail and needing money. I made him give me a phone number so i could contact other family members to see who had money. he gave me one that actually worked. but no FBI in Mexico!!