Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Is this a scam? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/scam-t199301.html)

mltquilt 09-01-2012 05:49 PM

Sounds like a scam.

mltquilt

Jill 09-01-2012 07:30 PM

Scam. I hope your daughter finds a job, but I wouldn't dream of replying to that.

quiltingcandy 09-01-2012 07:42 PM

What do they want her to do? i would certainly investigate a lot further than that e-mail. I would question who would hire a person in the US to do their work when we (the US) have out sourced so much of our work? Our hourly minimum wage is a daily rate in other parts of the world. So my first thought is this is scam.

icon17 09-01-2012 07:49 PM

!!!!bogus!!!! Scam!!!

cathyvv 09-01-2012 07:59 PM

SCAM. She'll get big seemingly notarized checks, cash them, take her $700 out of the total, and then send the balance to their company 'regional warehouse'. Then the bank she cashed the check at will notify her that the check, although cashed, was fraudulent and had no funds behind it. She will have to make good on the check.

Tell her to just think about the entire proposition for a couple of minutes. IF there is a company that needs to transfer money to their 'regional warehouse', why doesn't the company use conventional means like transfering the money between banks, using their company credit line, etc. The reason they don't is that the company doesn't exist, the funds are non-existent, the check is bogus. When someone falls for the scam, the scammer gets the check amount minus $700 at the address they said to forward the money to - no risk. And the person who cashed the check and took the $700 can be prosecuted by the bank for fraud.

I sure hope your daughter did NOT get involved with this. Please suggest to her that she get her information off that web site - she will be bombarded with offers like this. It might be too late already... There is also the possibility that she will unwittingly download a virus or spyware that will strip personal information off of the computer - hers, yours or anyone else who uses it and use it for identity theft or other fraudulent purposes.

ione 09-01-2012 11:41 PM

this sounds a lot like the scams I get from Nigeria, very vague, poor English and lots and lots of money! Run for your life.

Stitchit123 09-02-2012 02:56 AM

S c a m delete

rush88888 09-02-2012 03:36 AM

it's a scam. you receive bogus checks, and when you send part of the money, you would be out that money and be stuck with empty promises. just imagine getting many bad checks, cash them, send part of the money. at a later date, your bank will find out that the checks are bogus, and you are stuck holding the bag...and owe the bank! it's a scam!

ptquilts 09-02-2012 03:46 AM

Def. a scam. Cathyvv told it like it is. I got several of these when I was looking for a rental. They tailor the scam for all kinds of angles.

nygal 09-02-2012 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by jeank (Post 5484264)
even the language used sounds like the writer didn't learn English in the USA. They indicate that they are not in the USA by the term "your good country".

Or the person sending the check is ok, but they do not receive the goods they are paying for and guess who they come after. You got their money and are the only person they report about the fraud.

I agree. The language does not sound like it is coming from the USA. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is a scam.