Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   School snow days (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/school-snow-days-t89750.html)

DONK 01-13-2011 11:18 AM

Mine was out for 2 days this week. Went back today but they had a 90 minute delay.

craftymatt2 01-13-2011 03:45 PM

Oh my goodness, I live in Illinois our schools haven't closed at all, my grandson was hoping for a day or two off, but he said not more than that because his school lets out at the end of May. Our schools won't close unless the buses cannot run and that will never happen.

Pam B 01-13-2011 04:52 PM

Not me. I teach Kdg and we have had a start of school delay the past 2 days but, luckily, we have not had to cancel. I much prefer a delay to cancellation because I hate like everything to have to make up the missed days (and our state does require that). But, I do realize that there are those occasional years when we do have major snow/ice storms and we do miss alot of school. After a couple days home, I am generally going stir crazy. And, I remember my mom telling me that when I was college away from home (1978) our school system was closed 32 days in Dec., Jan, and Feb. She said it got to the point that everyone cheered when they could go to school. Back then, one did not have to make up the days. She said the country roads (we are a rural corp) were pretty much impassable for buses. Gosh...if that were to happen today, we would lose most of our summer vacation!

katcox 01-13-2011 06:07 PM

The kids out here get out of school even if there is just a dusting. School always goes to the middle of June.

hperttula123 01-13-2011 06:13 PM

Our schools don't have many snow days. It's gotta be ALOT of snow for them to close. There have been times that they have school start a little later when we have really cold days.

jitkaau 01-13-2011 06:24 PM

We used to get pulled out of school because of floods. An announcement would come that we had to get on the bus and we would either go the short way(one and a half hours journey) or the long way(two and a half hours) to get home before the road was cut.

SewMamaw 01-13-2011 08:10 PM

We're in Middlesboro, KY. Our schools were out the week before Christmas break and have been out all this week. They are talking snow Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week which will mean they may be out most of next week too. GD are getting pretty bored with no school.

grandma Janice 01-13-2011 08:28 PM

I have a grandson who went home for Christmas and since Georgia is snowed in, he hasn't been able to get back to Tenn. to college.

liondenise 01-14-2011 01:44 AM

no snow days here in Florida but in August, September and sometimes in October the kids have Hurricaine days when the power is out or worse

suechem 01-16-2011 10:31 AM

I am a teacher and se were out all last week except for Friday. Monday is a holiday so we have to go to school on Saturday!