Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School snow days

Blog Entries
    I feel bad for my DD and DGD. They have missed almost 2 weeks of school due to the snow. There were out the whole week before Christmas break and have only been back 2 days since. The high school even canceled the end of the semester exams.

DD is hoping they won't cancel school tomorrow and that they will still go on a 2 hour delay. DH called on his way to work and said the roads were very slick and icy. I am doubting there will be school tomorrow. Anyone else have students missing school because of snow?

Nope - the only time school has been canceled here is because the power was out for 2 days. I just got home from a library board meeting and it is -7 with a wind chill factor of about -25. We have lots of snow and the streets are very icy. But school will not be canceled - they just won't let the elementary kids go outside for recess.

Oh yeah.....we have missed 4 days so far so we will AGAIN be going to school in June. My poor DD is so not happy because she is a senior and they can't set the date for graduation until after all the winter weather passes.

yep i here in hawkins co. and no school here... my kids are sick of being out of school johnson city schools have said they will be using hoildays and sat. to make up for the snow day

Nope, DD shoveled 5 inches of snow flurries this morning so that she and I could get to the car. Then she took an old broom and swept 5" off the windshield. She came back in for about 10 minutes and when we went out to get her to school there was over 1/2" on the windshield. Snow doesn't stop us here. Heavy ice will and wind---if that snow starts blowing over the flatlands we get whiteouts that are extremely dangerous--then school is cancelled.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    mines been home two days already.. And boy can she drive you crazy.. "Momma.... momma.....momma.... Mommeeeeee.... !!!

Make-up days are the holidays..

I was in Walmart on Sunday night. One of the front end managers told a cashier that all the public schools in the county were closed Monday, in anticipation of the snow storm. It wasn't even cloudy at the time!!!

Two kids in line with their parents went into an impromptu 'snow day celebration' dance. Their Dad told me that he'd keep them busy the next day - looking up words in the dictionary and writing their definitions. Sounded like torture to me...

In Ohio our snow days were cut from five to three so all schools are just postponing opening for two to three hours which messes with everyone's schedules

We have wind today so NO SCHOOL! DD got up (without being called I might add) doing a happy dance. She thinks that she's going to get to play on the Wii all day but I have a few other plans.......hehehehehe

No school here in Mass. today. Twelve+ inches at 6:00 this morning and still coming down heavy!

My kids have gone despite the snow we have had the last few days. They hardly ever call off school here.

Blog Entries
    You dear ladies south of us are having our weather!! Schools are often start two hours late after a snowstorm, but cancelled infrequently. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get around with all that snow and no equipment/salt/sand to deal with it. Feel free to send it back north!!

Blog Entries
    Midwest Mary,

I would love to give you all this snow back! LOL!! We have a lot of hills and windy steep roads that makes driving a little tricky in the snowy/icy weather.

I grew up in southern Ohio and it seemed like we never got out for snow, just an occasional delay.

DD is disappointed in school being cancelled but not much we can do about it. DGD (who is 5) gets mad because she can't see her "boyfriends" at pre-K. I think it is funny to hear her say that but her Mommy and Daddy don't. But that is the perks of being a mamaw. :mrgreen:

Here in Pa. we got 6 inches of very light snow. School is canceled but there is not wind and we have not lost power. The strom seems to have been East of us and South. At present time I have no kids or grandkids in school.

We are out for our first snow day today. I'm relieved because my college aged DS had dental surgery yesterday and I wanted to stay home with him one more day. It's really coming down and blowing around a lot out there.

Blog Entries
    Kids returned to school Wed, Jan 5 after Christmas holiday and went thru Fri, and they have been out since then. We expected maybe to be out Mon., back to school Tues. , but, here we are Wed and still out.They usually miss on the forecast which was more snow and icing by morning, so we were surprised to find 6 to 7 inches the next morning. Our county is not equiped to handle snow, they used their road grater to push the snow on the main road. DH pushed our road clear with his loader so we could get to the grocery store and bank, took him about 2 hrs to get to the main road. I keep a pantry well stocked but we were out of bread and the last of the milk. Our gro. store and Dollar General closed early due to possible black ice on the roads. I guess if you were used to dealing with snow & ice it wouldn't be a big deal , its been fun and a challenge at times, but I wouldn't want to deal with it on a regular basis. We usually only have storms to deal with, school usually dismiss early and on ocasion have closed in advance of bad weather. Snow ,snow go away come again another day. :-D **We are going to be as big as barns if it doesn't let up, all we want to do is curl up under blankets and eat!

We had 5" of snow last night just outside Toronto, and we didn't get a snow day...

I'm a bus driver so I was really, really hoping we'd have one!!!

My boys were dissappointed too!

We are getting another storm on the weekend, so maybe monday will be a snow day!

No school one day this week after 14" on snow on Sunday, but everyone operating with late starts the rest of the week because of the icy roads. More snow expected this weekend.

Yes, they were out here the whole week before Christmas and are out all this week.

Blog Entries
    Today is another snow day. Sigh. If school is closed tomorrow, then they will have missed almost a complete month. I have begun to agree with DH. Seems like the school system would benefit from year-round schooling.

Mine was out for 2 days this week. Went back today but they had a 90 minute delay.

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness, I live in Illinois our schools haven't closed at all, my grandson was hoping for a day or two off, but he said not more than that because his school lets out at the end of May. Our schools won't close unless the buses cannot run and that will never happen.

Not me. I teach Kdg and we have had a start of school delay the past 2 days but, luckily, we have not had to cancel. I much prefer a delay to cancellation because I hate like everything to have to make up the missed days (and our state does require that). But, I do realize that there are those occasional years when we do have major snow/ice storms and we do miss alot of school. After a couple days home, I am generally going stir crazy. And, I remember my mom telling me that when I was college away from home (1978) our school system was closed 32 days in Dec., Jan, and Feb. She said it got to the point that everyone cheered when they could go to school. Back then, one did not have to make up the days. She said the country roads (we are a rural corp) were pretty much impassable for buses. Gosh...if that were to happen today, we would lose most of our summer vacation!

The kids out here get out of school even if there is just a dusting. School always goes to the middle of June.

Our schools don't have many snow days. It's gotta be ALOT of snow for them to close. There have been times that they have school start a little later when we have really cold days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast